Senior Finance Analyst – Revenue
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
A critical role working with Partners and the legal groups to gain granular insight into the make-up, risk, and projected profile of our revenue streams, and then drive action to see through the delivery of that revenue, creating an environment of 'no surprises'.
- Internal – Commercial Directors, Practice Group Leaders (PGLs), Partners, Managing Fee Earners (MFEs), Finance, Business Development, IT
- External – Clients and auditors
Main Duties and Responsibilities
This role is responsible for working with Partners and MFEs to achieve 5 main aims:
- Build a full picture of the WIP profile for all matters undertaken in the practice group, including management of commercial risk, conversion to cash, nature of revenue (annuity vs transactional)
- Establish and produce a gap analysis based on the expected timing of revenue vs. the sales target / budget looking on a monthly and quarterly basis
- Establish the inherent risk in the profile of work and the potential likelihood of delivering revenue based on whether transactions are hinged on the success of the client's transaction or any other contingent element
- Drive action on seeing through delivery of revenue on a monthly and quarterly basis to build an environment of delivering on commitments and one of 'no surprises'
- Understand the underlying causes of low profitability, low recovery or high write-offs and instigate action to resolve / improve on these measures
It is essential that the approach is tailored and, as such, applied intelligently to account for different Partners’ practices.
This role also requires influencing and working with Partners and MFEs to drive year-on-year improvements in revenue management to exceed industry benchmarks and look to achieve best-in-class performance against other non-legal industry benchmarks.
Other responsibilities include:
- Own and manage the statutory valuation of revenue / WIP
- On-going reporting and resolution of any valuation issues in WIP to continue to embed an environment of 'no surprises'
Key skills and experience
Essential skills and experience
- Highly developed analytical and financial modelling skills
- Strong project management and planning skills
- Strong communication, with the ability to present complex financial data and concepts in a clear and concise way to non-finance professionals
- Strong influencing skills, able to persuade and influence challenging colleagues and partners
Desired skills and experience
- ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualified
- Experience of working with practice management systems such as Aderant Expert is an advantage
- Legal knowledge or professional services background is an advantage
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.