Associate - Construction & Engineering
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The work will involve advising and acting for clients in connection with construction and engineering claims and disputes.
The following would be expected from the successful applicant:
- The ability to provide real-time advice to employers, contractors and professionals in connection with:
- The preparation, presentation and pursuit/defence of claims;
- Contract administration and assistance with key project communications.
- The care and conduct of substantial adjudication, litigation (predominantly in the TCC), arbitration and mediation proceedings;
- A good working knowledge of the standard forms of construction and engineering contracts (e.g. NEC, JCT, FIDIC, LOGIC and IChemE);
- The ability to analyse and interpret bespoke terms;
- A precise and concise approach to drafting, in terms of both submissions, project correspondence and advice;
- Daily contact with key clients and the ability to build strong trusted relationships.
- Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner or Senior Manager of the firm.
Key skills and experience
- A lawyer with an excellent training background.
- A team-player, who understands their clients' businesses and who has a client-friendly "problem-solving" approach to advice.
- An ability to analyse and report on complex contractual arrangements and identify key issues.
- A proactive approach to case management and a willingness to undertake a demanding caseload.
- A willingness to play a key role in the team's business development activities.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
Apply for Associate - Construction & Engineering
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly