Solicitor - Property Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Our property litigation team comprises 36 lawyers nationally and is legal directories recognised. The department act for a wide range of corporates, investors and asset management companies, retailers, residential landlords and individuals and boast particular expertise in the commercial landlord and tenant, retail and leisure, development, agricultural and insolvency sectors.
We provide a fully integrated real estate dispute resolution law service for clients which works closely alongside our national projects, real estate, construction and litigation teams.
Since the inception of the Birmingham office in 2011 we have established a solid real estate litigation practice of 6 lawyers who deliver high quality, practical and commercial real estate dispute resolution services. The team is led by partner David Marsden, who joined from Charles Russell Speechlys to develop specifically the Birmingham private sector focused property litigation practice. In order to ensure we are fully able to resource the growing number of work opportunities arising in our regional offices we are seeking to appoint a recently qualified Solicitor to be based in Birmingham.
- Advising a mixed client base on commercial landlord and tenant, property contracts, property insolvency, residential landlord and tenant including enfranchisement, rights of way, adverse possession, restrictive covenants and dilapidations;
- Providing advice on property litigation matters both in writing and by telephone;
- Negotiate settlements with opposing parties and advising clients on this subject
- Drafting court proceedings, witness statements and affidavits
- Disclosure and preparing trial bundles
- Progressing and managing cases that proceed to trial by complying with Court directions such as disclosure and instructing counsel
- Actively participating in firm-wideproperty litigation team in the UK regional offices;
- Expanding our provision of property litigation services regionally;
- Developing business and maintaining effective client relationships;
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Effectively managing files, time recording and billing.
- The firm has a competency framework for Solicitors and in particular for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files;
- Proven advocacy skills;
- Self-motivation, drive and enthusiasm;
- Strong technical skills;
- Client focus;
- Team based approach;
- Commercial awareness;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills;
- Flexibility and commitment;
- An ability to work autonomously with minimum supervision.
Experience and qualifications required
- Excellent academic record;
- Recently qualified Solicitor 0-2 PQE with proven litigation experience;
- Expertise in real estate disputes is preferable.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.