IP/Technology Associate 1-3 PQE
Slaughter and May is one of the world’s leading international law firms with an extensive corporate, financial institutions, commercial and financing practice. The specialist groups, including Intellectual Property, Financial Regulation, Tax, Competition, Dispute Resolution, Real Estate and Pensions and Employment, complement these main activities.
The firm is organised into groups that undertake a general spread of work, encouraging lawyers to work on an extensive range of financial and commercial matters as well as developing an expertise in specialist areas. Much of the work spans the globe, with transactions involving our overseas offices as well as leading independent law firms in many other jurisdictions.
Associates tend to work for partners in their own group, but you may also work for partners in other groups to provide a breadth of experience not only in types of work, but also in the different working practices and approach of different partners.
The transactions we work on are generally challenging and sophisticated. We do, however, aim to give associates as much responsibility and client contact as they are ready for. Junior associates may take the lead either on the transaction as a whole or a part of it. If you feel comfortable running a negotiation/meeting alone, the partners will be keen to encourage you.
We recognise that individuals all need to develop at their own pace so your progress and workload will be continually monitored and reviewed with your mentor partner.
Our IP/Technology practice is led by 5 partners and currently has 12 associates, 5 trainees, 2 PSLs and a paralegal. As an associate with us, you will potentially work with any of the partners in your group and also those from elsewhere, giving you the opportunity to see a wide range of working styles and strategic approaches.
The group acts for a broad range of clients across a number of sectors, including consumer brands, pharmaceuticals, financial services, high street and online retail, transport, telecoms and technology, utilities, sport, and central Government.
In keeping with our “multi-specialist approach”, we advise on matters of intellectual property, information technology, telecoms, strategic sourcing and outsourcing, e-commerce and data protection, rather than specialising in any one small area. This gives our lawyers regular client contact and significant involvement in clients’ broader business interests. You will therefore be in a position to build strong client relationships from a very early stage of your career and be involved in both the legal and commercial decision-making at some of the largest commercial organisations in the world, including GSK, Diageo, Arsenal and Rolls-Royce.
- Advising on trade mark licensing, distribution agreements, sponsorship agreements and franchising deals
- Advising on disputes and litigation covering the full spectrum of intellectual property rights. These range from complex patent actions to all forms of dispute relating to trade marks, passing off, copyright, database rights, design rights and breach of confidence claims
- Advising on commercial Technology arrangements from global technology outsourcings, strategic technology procurement programs and cloud solutions to traditional software, development, licensing and maintenance agreements
- Advising on the IP/Technology aspects of M&A, disposals and joint ventures. For example, establishing sophisticated licensing structures, conducting complex due diligence exercises on very substantial portfolios of patents, trademarks and copyright works and advising on the creation and enforcement of security interests over IP assets
- Advising on the full range of sourcing arrangements - from technology outsourcings, including infrastructure, desktop, application and application support, to more general business transformation outsourcing including business process, knowledge process, manufacturing, telecoms and facilities management outsourcing; advising on different strategic sourcing structures including co-sourcing, multi-sourcing, offshoring and insourcing
- Advising on strategic digital projects for a wide mix of technology, online, e-commerce and innovation clients
- Providing strategic data protection and privacy advice for technology clients and on digital and technology related transactions, including GDPR compliance programmes
- Developing professional relationships with clients
- Supporting the wider team in developing business and raising the profile of the firm
- Managing/supervising the work of others including trainees
- Providing efficient professional support for partners.
- Appropriate level of post-qualification experience (we anticipate between 1-3 PQE in a City or leading international firm)
- First rate legal/commercial knowledge and analytical skills
- Exposure to complex IP/technology transactions or commercial contracts
- Previous experience giving IP/technology advice in a strategic context
- Experience of reviewing, analysing and providing detailed advice on legislation
- First rate drafting skills
- Strong academic background and a demonstrable high level of intellectual rigour
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Excellent efficiency and transaction management skills
- Ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Resilience under pressure with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Experienced in running negotiations/meetings
- High level of professionalism and integrity
- Willingness to present to large and small groups, both internal and external
- Impeccable attention to detail
- High level of professionalism and integrity; displaying the highest standard of professional ethics
- Experience of working in a diverse team whilst fostering an inclusive team culture.
The purpose of this description is to provide guidance in relation to the general requirements of the position referred to. It is by no means an exhaustive list of the responsibilities that will be involved.
Location: London EC1Y 8YY
Salary and benefits package: Competitive
Closing date for all applications: 06/04/18
Please note that any offer of employment with the firm is subject to the firm receiving a satisfactory report in respect of the successful candidate from its third party screening and vetting agency.