Group Financial Analyst
Allen & Overy is looking for a Group Financial Analyst in the London office.
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries all over the world. We’re built on the work of talented and motivated people, in a supportive and collaborative environment, dedicated to delivering an exceptional standard of work for our clients. We operate at the forefront of the legal industry, and our deals and cases often make headline business news. With many of our partners acknowledged as leaders in their field, and with all our people demonstrating the highest levels of professionalism, we have a reputation for delivering excellence in all that we do.
We’re thoughtful and inventive, and we’ve developed a culture of in which difference and openness is positively valued, where people are free to be themselves. We’re one global team, supportive and collaborative but also ambitious and driven. Our capacity to combine these qualities and provide a setting in which our people can thrive is what makes us different.
Deliver relevant information and a value for money service to the decision-makers of Allen & Overy.
To provide high quality financial information to be used internally & externally. To assist in driving the business forward and implementing changes within the global finance function and across the business. To act as a mentor and adviser to the wider Finance community and be a business partner to management.
Wider finance team, Finance and Business Managers across the network, finance management team and Partners.
Role and responsibilities
– Working with the Finance Heads and Management team to make commercial business decisions. Involves various ad hoc tasks that require the ability to critically assess business questions.
– Preparation of high quality regular and ad-hoc financial information, critical evaluation and making recommendations suitable for senior management including the Board and Audit Committee.
– Be sought out as a subject matter expert and trusted adviser by our business partners.
– Taking responsibility for project deliverables, working independently or taking a leadership role as required ensuring the project is delivered on time and to the highest standards to meet business needs.
– Participate in system/process upgrade projects, including testing, training and documentation. Driving forward and implementing changes.
– Identifying process improvements to increase the efficiency of working practises within the Firm.
– Identifying inefficient processes, review and development to deliver increased efficiencies and value added tasks for the team and wider finance function.
– Involvement in the development of the global practice management system.
– Subject matter expert in Cognos applications with responsibility for application design and development.
– Act as an adviser on technical accounting issues and provide accounting support to the wider finance community, being able to debate and rationalise technical points and decisions.
– Analysis/review of management accounts and reporting back to offices and the Finance Heads.
– Assisting with the annual budget process at the group level as required.
– Building complex financial models for business initiatives and financial scenario testing.
– Active involvement in the preparation of business plans. Advising Global CFO’s/Finance Managers on preparation using Cognos financial model.
– Involved in the set-up of new business units.
– Build and maintain relationships with global support functions and Finance staff in all offices, to be able to provide accounting, policy and process support to the network.
– Work closely with other members of Global Finance to build a strong team.
– Requires travel to offices within our network.
– Team player with strong communication skills, including oral presentation and technical writing to non-native English speakers.
– Technically competent with relevant finance/accounting knowledge and skills.
– Ability to demonstrate commercial skills, knowledge and acumen in a professional services environment.
– In-depth understanding of group and local accounting and fiscal reporting requirements, to be able to ensure the accuracy and reconciliation of books of account across the network.
– Self motivated and solution driven.
– Ability to design, research and document accounting policy and processes.
– Ability to work on their own, therefore taking initiative and have a desire to get the job done.
– Ability to take a problem/task and work independently to deliver well thought through solution/end product.
– Ability to work under pressure and take a flexible approach to the job; we report to tight deadlines which are mixed with last minute adhoc tasks for management.
– Ability to train other finance department members globally.
– Proven understanding of global structures, currency accounting and financial accounting principles.
– Ability to make independent objective decisions. A strong decision maker.
– Ability to find practical and pragmatic solutions whilst ensuring the integrity of finance is upheld.
– High level of IT system skills with the ability to expand in this area to take a pseudo systems accountant role.
– Strong analytical skills and the ability to produce high quality and professional documentation to meet the needs of the business.
– Proven task management experience with the ability to take control of project streams.
– Adaptable individual with a can do attitude in order to react to new projects and hit the ground running.
Who we are looking for
– Qualified accountant, member of a recognised accounting body as a chartered accountant having trained in practice.
– Minimum of 4 years post qualification experience, with some years spent in industry (ideally within professional services).
– Previous business experience in a global organisation required, preferably in a 'head office' or group function
This is a senior position within the group reporting finance function; management is heavily reliant on this position. The role involves regular contact with senior people within the organisation; a highly professional approach is a must.