Allen & Overy is looking to recruit a BD Executive.
An integral member of the Litigation Business Development (BD) team, this role will report to and work with the Senior BD Manager for Global Litigation and provide BD support to the (i) Corporate & Commercial Litigation Group (CCG) and (ii) eDiscovery business. CCG comprises 6 partners and 34 fee earners, whilst our eDiscovery business comprises circa 20 practice professionals reporting into the Global Head of eDiscovery.
About the areas you will support
- CGG focuses on acting on disputes predominantly for corporate clients relating to post M&A, commercial contract and/or business competition disputes (amongst others). Developing the firm’s corporate client base is a strategic imperative for A&O and offering top tier litigation capability to our clients is a key driver of growth.
- eDiscovery involves the identification, collection and data processing of our clients electronically stored information/data (ESI), in order to conduct a document review. It is a strategic priority for A&O to significantly grow its eDiscovery business and, accordingly, we have invested in senior level resource and a market leading technology platform. This role offers the right candidate an exciting opportunity to become a key member of the team charged with realising this ambition and keeping A&O at the forefront of emerging litigation legal technology.
- In terms of the day-to-day work, pitching activity is limited with the emphasis on proactive marketing, BD, comms and client relationship management activity.
– Partners and fee earners in London Litigation product groups, in particular CCG and the eDiscovery business
– London Litigation business development team, including the BD Assistants in Belfast.
– Other practice business development teams, particularly the Corporate practice BD team.
– Central marketing teams, including Client Relationship Management, PR and Marketing Systems.
– Other support teams, such as Finance, Creative Services, Online Services, Know-how and PAs etc.
Role and responsibilities
– CCG and eDiscovery– working with the Senior BD Manager you will assist with and deliver proactive day-to-day BD support. This includes pitching, presentation support, client hospitality, client targeting, relationship management, client listening, organising client and industry roundtables, maintaining credentials and experience and coordinating efforts with related Litigation product groups, particularly the investigations and banking, finance and regulatory groups.
– Marketing events and seminars – CCG runs a number of ad hoc marketing events that reinforce client relationships (drinks, round tables, seminars etc). Your role will be important to ensure these continue to be a success and management of such events, with support from our internal events team, will play a part of your role.
– In addition, assisting the Senior BD Manager (CCG and Global litigation)
o Business planning and advice – provide focus to the delivery and direction of BD activities. Play a key influencing role with partners on business development activities and projects.
o Proposals – take the lead role in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for London-based proposals. Input into documents prepared by other practice groups and offices requiring the relevant expertise. Seek client feedback, capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earners to act upon feedback.
o Client relationship building – assist partners, associates and BD colleagues in the management of strategic client relationships and coordinate client targeting efforts across CCG. Work with the central client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics, including secondee debriefs, client presentations and training, etc. Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market.
o Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
o Internal communications – help maintain the flow of market/client intelligence (e.g. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
o Campaign management – work with the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to develop and execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop a stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
o BD tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools: Work with PAs and the BD Assistant to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up-to-date; maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs; and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system, EPiC.
– Additional projects – Opportunity to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
– Personable and with a track record of successfully influencing high status individuals in a partnership or similar.
– Team orientated with a willingness to share ideas and experiences.
– Enthusiastic, confident, pro-active, persistent, robust and committed to "getting the job done".
– Good humoured and positive outlook.
– Experience of managing events from evaluating the feasibility of potential ideas to execution.
– A willingness to develop an understanding of the litigation market
– Experience of delivering successful marketing initiatives and with fresh thinking on business challenges.
– Good organisational skills – able to multi-task (especially urgent requests) with strong time management skills.
– Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (especially ability to network and to be clear, concise and influential with partners and associates).
– Excellent writing skills and attention to detail.
– Able to work well under pressure and to drive through major projects to completion.
– Gains respect and credibility quickly.
– An interest in learning about all facets of dispute resolution would be beneficial.
Who we are looking for
– Graduate or equivalent.
– Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills.
– Shows initiative, enthusiasm and is willing to become involved in additional projects as and when required.
– Proactive and has the enthusiasm to develop strong product, sector and client knowledge.
– Strong relationship building skills.
– An eye for detail, with excellent accuracy