Global Technical Delivery Manager
We are currently recruiting for a Global Technical Delivery Manager to join our IT team in London.
The Programme & Project Delivery (PPD) team are responsible for the management of projects, typically (but not exclusively) involving the development and implementation of business processes and standards to meet identified business needs, acquiring and utilising the necessary resources and skills, within agreed parameters of cost, timescales, and quality.
The department has embarked on an ambitious programme of work to provide better business and technology agility through delivery of a new document management system, new devices, new productivity tools and new communication tools.
We have a requirement to staff a dedicated role within PPD, reporting directly to the Global Head of PPD, responsible for defining and then implementing the processes around how programmes and projects within IT fulfil the technical requirements arising through their work and navigate these processes.
In essence, technical delivery in this context should ‘smooth the way’ for the Project and Programme managers, and establish a straightforward and documented ‘experience’ for them to follow. The Technical Delivery Lead will also work closely with the Strategy & Architecture team to ensure that all projects have technical leadership and have suitable solution designs, following the agreed project methodology within Allen & Overy.
This person would also manage technical resources – both permanent and contract – including a team of up to 5 developers for development / integration projects.
Principally, Allen & Overy are looking for someone with a background in technical project management and a proven track record of embedding successful change. This role would suit someone who has come up from technical teams, through technical project management and is looking for the next elevation of their career to senior management. Experience in Consulting would be a bonus.
- Working with the Project / Programme managers to manage development activities across the portfolio of projects, and ensure that all technical design documentation is available to support project delivery.
- Working with the Strategy & Architecture team to assess the needs for, and recruit, technical resource into projects
- Working with Service Management and Process teams to identify the existing processes and touchpoints, and collaboratively identify future state
- Manage the technical teams to coordinate design, development and testing activities on projects.
Role and responsibilities
Technical Team line management
- Line management of staff in the integrations team (development & test) – including providing a point of escalation, pastoral care and performance management.
- Line management of Document Management technical specialist staff – including providing a point of escalation, pastoral care and performance management.
Liaison with Service Management for process design and support
- To help establish & then support suitable processes concerning the technical delivery of projects, including:
- Staffing of technical resource to projects
- Technical resource capacity management & planning
- Environment request & creation processes
- Test account and data request & creation processes
- Handover of projects (including documentation) to Operations teams
Develop and support the chosen delivery methodologies
- To help establish & then support a move to a DevOps methodology within the department
- Provide development and implementation expertise on waterfall and Agile from a technical perspective
Work with Strategy & Architecture team in the staffing of key technical roles on projects
- Be the first point of contact for projects that require technical resource & respond to project technical resource requests by:
- Maintaining a capacity plan of project-based technical resource
- Managing the recruitment process when additional resource is needed from the market
- Work with the Strategy & Architecture team during the recruitment of technical resource to ensure that the latest job specifications are used and the correct reviews by the S&A team are held
Technical Delivery Expertise
- The role holder is expected to be able to provide technical design and implementation expertise to projects where needed
- Instil a culture of continual improvement and problem solving
- To liaise with the ARB to validate technical designs, and to take technical solutions through the appropriate quality and approval processes where required.
- To assist the Project Managers with other technology-related tasks as required.
- Proven track record of technical project delivery
- Strong experience proposing and then implementing process change
- Strong experience of leading technical resources, including a development team.
- Experience of working for a global enterprise across international locations with an appreciation of multiple cultures.
- Experience of delivering High Level and Low Level designs
- Experience of working with multiple technical stakeholders; team leader, team member and peers.
- An enthusiasm and passion for technology and project delivery. The ability to promote best practice within the firm, using business friendly language, and seek out opportunities with tangible business benefits.
- High level of personal credibility, impact and influence with proven ability to work effectively and persuasively at all levels of the business.
- Having an open mind to consider all alternatives when making technology decisions.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and written.
- Ability to develop good working relationships across the breadth of the IT function and effectively share knowledge between individuals and teams to contribute to the overall effectiveness of project and service improvement work.
- Highly self motivated, self-starter, who will undertake all activities to the highest professional standards.
- Experience of working in a structured delivery environment, such as Prince2, Agile or other, and exposure to ITIL or other release / change management functions, including managing software releases.
- Experience of creating and managing project technical documentation and development methodologies.
- Experience of MS Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Microsoft Project.
- Degree qualified or equivalent – preferred.
- A history working on large projects or programmes of work.
- Understanding and experience of typical law firm technology.
- Background in Legal, Banking or Professional Services preferred.
- Coding & testing experience
- Microsoft stack experience (Windows Server, SQL Server, IIS) and other relevant technology and skills (server specification, user account administration, information security).
Work outside normal office hours, including on-call, weekend, evening work and international travel may be expected, as required by individual activities.