Structured Finance Solicitor
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst's structured finance practice forms part of a wider Securities and Derivatives Group. It sits alongside and works closely with Ashurst's debt capital markets and derivatives and structured products practices.
The core areas of the structured finance team cover securitisations (RMBS/CMBS/auto loans/consumer credit, prime/non-performing), whole business securitisations, covered bonds, CLOs and trade receivables. The practice covers true sale and synthetic structures.
The solicitor/junior associate will work primarily with partners who specialise in various types of structured finance transactions across different asset classes.
The candidate must be willing to be flexible and should be enthusiastic about working in new product areas. The job offers exposure to multiple different clients, sectors and associated financing techniques.
The job will offer the opportunity to work with sponsors, arrangers, debt investors, corporates, banks, government and credit enhancement providers.
The role will also involve working closely with other groups within Ashurst, including corporate, restructuring, banking, financial regulatory and tax.
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified solicitor with some post-qualification experience at a major law firm; we expect the ideal candidate to have NQ-1.5 PQE experience.
- Experience of advising on structured finance transactions will be preferable.
- Good organisational skills and experience in transaction management.
- Excellent academic track record.
- Excellent client relationship skills.
- Confidence in participating in commercial negotiations with counterparties.
- A collegiate team-player who works effectively with colleagues at all levels.
- Advising a European bank on the securitisation of a €500 million portfolio of non-performing commercial real estate loans.
- Advising a European bank on the securitisation of a €9 billion portfolio of non-performing mixed loans and the establishment of an independent servicing platform.
- Advising a leading investment firm on the issue of £65 million secured mezzanine notes in relation to a portfolio of UK-based student accommodation.
- Advising Andorra Banc Agricol Reig SA on the establishment of its €500 million Covered Bond Programme and debut issue of €100 million 2017-1 Series Covered Bonds.
- Advising ANZ Banking Group on its London-listed Covered Bond Programmes.
- Advising the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs on the landmark £4.2 billion Thames Tideway Tunnel project, including the terms of the Government Support Package.
- Advising the syndicate of lenders (including BAML, Barclays and Morgan Stanley) and the private placement noteholders on a £2 billion WBS financing in connection with National Grid's disposal of its UK gas distribution business (Cadent Gas).
- Allianz Global Investors
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Cheyne Capital
- Her Majesty's Government, including Her Majesty's Treasury (acting through the Infrastructure and Projects Authority)
- Mitsubishi UFJ
- Morgan Stanley
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in-house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.
Opening Date Wednesday 10 January 2018
Closing Date Wednesday 7 February 2018