Server Engineer (FTC 12 months)
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area – IT
Role: Server Engineer (FTC 12 Months)
Reporting to: Operations Manager
Hours of work - 9:00 am – 5:30 pm Monday to Friday.
There may be a requirement to do overtime outside core hours and at weekends for system maintenance. This will be agreed and planned as a Toil arrangement
Department/ Role Overview:
The Server Engineer role covers the day-to-day, 'business as usual' tasks to support all backend IT systems. This role will provide hands-on 3rd line operational support for Ashurst's IT systems as well as providing implementation support for any new systems or technologies which Ashurst may adopt.
- Liaising with the Service Delivery team escalations and ticket assignment and resolution
- Monitoring of all servers and infrastructure applications
- Support of Microsoft BackOffice products inc Exchange/IIS/DNS/WINS/DHCP/AD, ensuring full system availability.
- Monitoring, management and support of all VMWare infrastructure
- Monitoring, management and support of all VMWare VDI infrastructure
- Support and maintain all back office systems and attached services worldwide in both physical and virtual environments
- Support of global backup environment including daily checks and liaison with local IT specialists.
- Configuration and support of Active Directory services, Group Policies, as well as anti-virus and web servers.
- Reactive monitoring using various tools
- Maintaining internal procedural and technical documentation
- Raising problem records with vendors and follow up
- Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
In Depth Knowledge of:
- Ability to work within procedures such as daily backup operations
- Technical skills in Microsoft Back Office products
- Experience of Microsoft Active Directory 2008+
- Experience of Windows 2008/2012 Server and supporting technologies such as DNS,WINS,DHC
- Virtualisation Technologies in particular Vmware vSpher
- Significant relevant work experience in a similar role
Desired skills and experience
- An understanding of LAN / WAN technologies.
- Exposure to Dell hardware.
- ITIL certification
- Knowledge of infrastructure standards (e.g. ISO)
- Experience of working in a professional services environment
Our Culture is shaped by our core values of Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity and Accountability. They guide how we relate with each other, our clients, our behaviour.