Global Application Manager
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area – IT Department
Location: Based in Ashurst's Glasgow office, however trips to the London office will be required. Travel to other offices globally may be required from time to time.
Role: Global Applications Manager
Reporting to: Head of IT Business Solutions
Hours of work - Monday to Friday, 9:00 - 5:30, may be required to work additional hours to facilitate project implementations or support call resolution.
Department/ Role Overview:
- To oversee all activities that optimise the value, cost and risk of applications.
- To undertake line management responsibilities for members of the Applications team.
- Ensure the team is working effectively and efficiently and uphold the Ashurst Values.
- Provide leadership, vision and direction for the applications in the organisation to ensure it will contribute to the company achieving its goals.
- Work with IT and business leaders to develop overall IT strategy in the context of the business strategy.
- Develop productive relationships with business leaders across the organisation to influence how applications can enable new sources of value.
- Define and enhance methodologies and practices for the application life cycle management in line with best practice and practical experience of continuous improvement.
- Provide support and facilitate innovative and experimental application work to test new ideas with bounded cost and time frames.
- Ensure that applications processes (including those of external service providers) are conducted in line with corporate social responsibility, environmental and technical policies and applicable standards and legislation.
- Manage the application team personnel, developing their skills and capabilities to meet the needs of the organisation, as well as building on existing recruiting capabilities to address new needs and skills gaps.
- Implement and manage application life cycle management status reporting, metrics and benchmarks.
- Support relationships with major vendors and service providers to ensure they cost-effectively meet the needs of the organisation.
- Conduct regular surveys of stakeholder satisfaction with applications, publish the results and, where necessary, implement action plans to improve satisfaction.
- Responsible for and continually reviewing and improving the firms application services, processes, standards to ensure they remain enterprise ready and best in class.
- Manage individual application development work streams as required, taking on roles such as Technical Lead, Senior Supplier and representing the team on relevant project boards.
- Manage the support and on call requirements of the team.
Essential skills and experience:
The primary responsibility is to ensure the applications cost-effectively meet the needs of the business as a whole.
Overseeing the assessment of the technical and business fitness of the application portfolio and their associated costs and risks.
Facilitating the application governance process to gain consensus on a prioritised set of measurable business outcomes that applications must support.
Working with stakeholders to define a prioritised set of business outcomes and application work to accomplish those outcomes within the limitations of the application budget.
Working with stakeholders to accomplish this application work in a way that improves the business and technical fitness of the application portfolio and minimises its ongoing support costs.
Overseeing the application organisation's successful delivery of these business outcomes in partnership with the business.
Overseeing benefits realisation to ensure that business outcomes are achieved.
Overseeing support activities in conjunction with infrastructure and operations to ensure the applications perform well in production.
Overseeing development of processes and tools in conjunction with the rest of IT to automate the handoff of code releases and upgrades from pre-production to operations.
Working with information security to ensure that the organisation's applications are effectively secured and that risks are mitigated.
Day-to-day management of the application organisation (including staffing, budgeting and other relevant management functions) and is required to hold all application delivery teams accountable for optimising the cost, risk and value of applications throughout their life cycle.
Experience of managing a large team across multiple locations and multiple disciplines.
Requires hands on experience in application management preferably one or more of the following or similar applications:
- iManage Worksite document management
- client relationship management tools like Interaction or Microsoft Dynamics
- experience with extranet deal room cloud based solutions such as HighQ Collaborate
- experience in Risk and Compliance applications. Notably the IntApp products. In particular the Open platform (Risk, Intake and Conflicts) and Wall Builder
A proven track record of simultaneously delivering on large Programmes, Projects and BAU.
Strong awareness of full application lifecycles including Agile and Waterfall.
Selection and implementation of tools and processes to support all required activities.
Strong knowledge and track record of delivering software architecture, design and procurement issues (strong commercial awareness with experience in vendor management).
Excellent written and oral communication skill with the ability to produce meaningful and reliable documentation
Experience in large data export/imports (ETL), web services and third party API technology.
Experience in Microsoft back office products Windows server, Active Directory, Microsoft SQL and the Microsoft security stack.
Working with Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2010 or later versions.
Experience and knowledge of LAN/WAN fundamentals.
Technically proficient, detail oriented with an analytical and thorough approach to troubleshooting system issues.
Ability to manage effectively and appropriately support and maintenance issues.
Experience of on-boarding new applications and well as de-commissioning older or legacy applications
Desired skills and experience
- Continuous Improvement processes.
- Experience of Prince 2 project methodology.
- Experience in ITIL.
- Experience in VMWare technologies.
- Experience with Citrix products.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure and Microsoft O365.