About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
To work within the Accounting and Tax team, assisting with the preparation of Group financial accounts for both month end reporting and the year-end audit. Also to work closely with Business Services teams to prepare, manage and review budgets and forecasts on a regular basis.
- Internal - Business Services Directors and Managers, Commercial Directors and wider Finance Team in all Group offices
- External - Auditors, tax advisors and other consultants
Budgetary / Financial Responsibilities:
- Ensuring our financial accounting records are accurate and controls are robust; ensuring budgets and forecasts are as informed as possible with issues escalated as appropriate to key stakeholders
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain key accounting records across all Group entities and branches (UK and International), including:
- Balance sheet reconciliations
- Accruals and prepayments
- Fixed asset registers
- Bad debt provision
- Professional indemnity provision
- Payroll journal
- Other general ledger adjustments
- Preparation of month end reports and maintenance of general ledger flash reports used by budget holders to review transactions and manage budgets & forecasts
Audit & Tax
- Assist with preparation of the Group audit working paper files and supporting documentation for the consolidated accounts
- Liaise with external auditors to assist with any audit queries
- Assist Tax Accountant with pulling together tax analysis for advisors and other tax compliance work (PSA, quarterly VAT return, etc.)
- Support Business Service teams to raise financial awareness and provide bespoke financial information for each team
- Identify and deliver relevant, timely and accurate information to all levels within each Business Services area
- Prepare and review budgets and forecasts with Business Services Directors for each team's overheads and salary costs
- Provide management insight including reporting commentary, management presentations & ad hoc financial analysis as and when required by stakeholders across the business
- Assist with ad hoc queries and projects as and when they arise
Key skills and experience
- Qualified ACA/ACCA with an audit/tax background
- Competent with Microsoft Office (Office 2010 desired but not essential)
- High level Microsoft Excel user essential
- Practice management system – Aderant Expert (preferable but not essential)
- Budgeting and forecasting system – TM1 (preferable but not essential)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and relationship building capabilities. Have the ability to quickly form working relationships and gain credibility with senior management.
- Financial reporting, strong accounting and tax experience
- Good data analysis skills
- Promote continuous improvement
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.