AML & Conflicts Assistant
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
- Assisting with checking documentation and information collected for the new client and matter opening process and escalating any complex queries to the relevant manager for review.
- Assisting with carrying out research in respect of clients and matters, including client websites, using screening software and other appropriate databases.
- Checking and verifying information provided by fee earners and support staff and providing guidance to fee earners and support staff on the necessary information and documentation required to complete the new client and matter opening process.
- Fielding and where possible dealing enquiries from fee earners and support staff and building good rapport.
- To conduct and analyse potential conflicts of interest by using conflicts database searches.
- To liaise with fee earners and others within the firm to mitigate any risks that are identified in the search results.
- To escalate potential conflicts of interest to the relevant where appropriate.
- To be alert to potential commercial conflicts and ensure these are handled appropriately.
- To gain a good understanding of the SRA Code of Conduct rules relating to conflicts of interest and the duties of confidentiality and disclosure.
- To assist with the establishment and maintenance of information barriers.
- To provide administration support within the team.
- To assist with any other duties related to the resolution of conflicts of interest issues as required.
- A positive and enthusiastic graduate who has some experience within compliance, KYC/CDD, AML or legal conflicts management who is looking to embark on a career within legal compliance.
- Experience of working with a law firm desirable.
- Strong communication skills and client focused.
- Experience and ability to work well with others as part of a team and to also work independently.
- Strong prioritisation skills and the ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Good attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to interact with fee earners and support staff and building positive relationships and establishing yourself as a key member of both the team and the Firm.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Excellent IT skills across the MS suite of programmes along with a keen interest and willingness to learn new computer packages, software and systems.
- Prepared to undertake training deemed necessary by the Firm to meet the needs of the business and be flexible in approach.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.