Associate - Real Estate Disputes
About the role
Working as part of one of the UK’s largest real estate disputes team this is a unique opportunity for an individual specialising in residential real estate. The team is part of the leading European real estate team which spans multiple jurisdictions ensuring the fullest possible range of work advising all types of investors, developers, financers and occupiers in relation to a variety of projects.
Known for its client focused approach and its thought leadership, at CMS you will be working with colleagues in the real estate sector with a wide range of specialisms.
The CMS real estate disputes team is unique in that it has a team of lawyers who specialise in residential real estate disputes. Working alongside the wider real estate group you will be advising on all of the traditional real estate asset classes but also on the more recent alternative real estate asset classes including student accommodation and hotels and leisure.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a qualified solicitor NQ-3PQE
- Be able to demonstrate an interest in, and enthusiasm for, the residential and mixed use property industry
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills
- Have gained excellent relevant experience from a recognised real estate department of a major or medium sized firm
- Have relevant experience including
- Advising Landlords and tenants in respect of a variety of residential long leasehold matters including interpretation and advising on breaches/enforcement of leasehold covenants;
- Experience dealing with residential possession proceedings and service of statutory notices under s8/s21 of Housing Act 1988;
- Lease extension claims/collective enfranchisement claims under the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act;
- Advising on residential service charges including some experience dealing with disputes under the Landlord & Tenant Act 1985 and requirements to consult under s20;
- Have a strong academic background
- Demonstrate the ambition to succeed and commitment to business development and client relationship management
- Be commercially orientated with good business acumen and a commitment to innovation
- Have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Be well-organised with strong administration and time management skills and the ability and drive to meet demanding deadlines
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 39 countries from 70 office worldwide.
On 1 May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang came together to create a new future-facing firm, one that is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
CMS is committed to promoting equal opportunities in employment, to not only adhere to current employment law, but to harness the full potential of our staff and ensure that all individuals are treated fairly and with respect. To meet this aim CMS endeavours to treat all staff and job applicants equally, on the basis of merit and the ability to do their job. Everybody will be treated equally regardless of race, colour, age, religion or belief, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital or civil partner status, ethnic or national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, and pregnancy or maternity status (“Protected Characteristics”).
For further information about CMS’ diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
How to apply
If you are interested, please apply online. If you have any queries, please contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted.