Part Qualified Patent Attorney - Electronics and/or Software
Exciting opportunities exist for Patent Attorneys with CMS, a full service law firm, as a result of our merger with Olswang and Nabarro.
About the role
We are currently recruiting Trainee / Part Qualified Patent Attorneys to join our successful London based team. We are looking for individuals with an electronics, electrical engineering, physics or software qualification. Previous experience within one of these fields would be strongly preferred.
While training to qualify as a patent attorney you will assist in the drafting and filing of patent applications, patent prosecution at the EPO and UK-IPO, and EPO opposition and appeal work. Your work may also include involvement in freedom to operate opinions, IP due diligence and litigation.
According to Chambers & Partners UK (2017 edition, London) our team was ranked as Band 2 for Patent Attorneys.
Our IP group is already one of the largest teams in Europe for patent and trade mark work. We have qualified patent attorneys working alongside IP, litigation, corporate and commercial lawyers.
This offering makes us unique in the market. We are the only full service law firm to combine patent attorneys with solicitors in this way.
- The ideal candidate will be part qualified and have passed the Queen Mary Certificate in IP Law or PEB Foundation Certificate exams.
- Excellent academic record – minimum 2.1 (or equivalent) ideally in electronics, electrical engineering, software or physics.
- The ideal candidate may have a further degree (i.e. PhD) and/or have worked in industry.
- Ideally a background in at least one of wireless telecommunications, software, signal processing and engineering, and experience of computer implementing inventions.
- Candidates should be motivated, enthusiastic and interested in further developing their knowledge of IP law and patent prosecution.
- Attention to detail and thoroughness is important as is a motivated and enthusiastic attitude.
- Flexible in attitude and approach to work. Able to demonstrate effective organisational and prioritisation skills. At times the successful candidate will be working to tight deadlines and under pressure and will be required to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Effective team player - able to collaborate effectively in an established, close-knit team. An enthusiastic and engaged attitude with excellent people skills and a good, clear communication style. Able to form strong working relationships across all areas of the practice.
- Willingness to assist across diverse technical and legal areas.
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
On the 1st May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang are combining to create a truly modern, ambitious, sector driven and technology focused firm for the future. Together we will be the 6th largest UK law firm (by UK revenue) and the 6th largest law firm globally (by headcount) with outstanding global reach: serving 39 countries across 70 offices.
The new firm will be headquartered in the City of London with UK offices in Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Reading and Sheffield.
All 3 firms have very similar values running through them which will ring true after the combination. We work hard to be a truly client-focused law firm. That means not just understanding the unique challenges of every market sector, but also providing a service that’s tailored to the needs of each client. Our partners are hands-on and work hard to get closer to clients with everything from joint training initiatives and advice surgeries to visits and social events. What’s more, our teams have the ideal balance of personality and industry expertise to suit the varied needs of our clients.
We welcome and promote diversity among our staff and we are committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment practice.
If you are interested please apply online or contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor, for more information.
At CMS we welcome receiving direct candidate applications via our careers page.
No agencies please unless specifically instructed.