Associate, Banking, Finance
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here.
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations.
Ashurst's Banking practice is recognised by its clients to be one of the most innovative and solution orientated legal practices in the market today.
As the challenges to our clients have increased over the last few years we have stayed true to our core offering of legal technical excellence wrapped in commercial awareness. This has enabled Ashurst to continue to fulfil the role of being a trusted advisor to our clients and strengthened our close relationships. The practice continues to go from strength to strength and currently has 19 partners and 46 other fee earners.
Many of our clients are under direct pressure to deliver more for less through greater operational efficiency. To help our clients address these challenges, we created Ashurst Advance – a uniquely integrated global team that combines the three fundamental areas of legal service innovation: resources, process and technology. Ashurst Advance joins together the firm's existing 'new law' capabilities, establishing a clear and differentiated service proposition for our clients whilst creating a global platform for future innovation. A significant part of the Ashurst Advance team is based within the Ashurst Glasgow Office, which opened in 2013 and now has over 240 staff.
We are looking for a qualified Banking lawyer to join the Banking Team in our Glasgow office and play a key role in the development and expansion of the range of transactional banking services that we provide to our clients from the Glasgow office. This represents an exciting opportunity to be part of a developing, strategic practice.
You will have the opportunity to:
- develop client relationships;
- work with high calibre clients and colleagues throughout Ashurst's global network; and
- play a key role in developing the Glasgow Banking team's transactional banking capability and offering to clients, including working alongside the rapidly growing Ashurst Advance Legal Analyst and Legal Technolgist teams to deliver a truly innovative service to our clients.
You can expect to have exposure to a wide range of high quality transactions. You would typically act on all elements of a financing from term sheet stage, through to closing and post-closing. Your specific areas of responsibility will be to draft and negotiate term sheets, intercreditor agreements and facilities agreements, supervising junior lawyers and analysts and ensuring a smooth process to transaction close.
You would also be expected to manage projects that have been assigned to you, and liaise closely with colleagues, clients, counterparties and other advisers. You would be working as part of a committed and inspired friendly team that enjoys its work and considers itself a leader in its field of practice. All members of the team have frequent client contact and must be willing to travel.
Typical responsibilities include:
- drafting and negotiation of facility, intercreditor and security agreements;
- contributing to department know-how and developing precedent documents;
- advising clients;
- negotiating with counterparts and actively contributing to calls; and
- providing supervision and on-the-job training to juniors.
In addition to strong technical skills, you should be able to demonstrate an enthusiasm for business development and strong interpersonal skills as there will be significant client contact. You will be expected to understand the importance of developing client relationships and a desire to build and develop your own client network with support and guidance from the partners and wider team.
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified Banking lawyer with experience from a major law firm;
- strong general banking experience and ideally experience of real estate finance transactions;
- experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating legal documents and agreements in a private practice environment;
- enthusiasm to innovate and play a part in building the new, unique transactional banking offering in Glasgow;an adaptable person who is a fast learner;
- a team-player who can work effectively with colleagues at all levels;
- client facing experience and the ability to understand and respond effectively to client needs;
- experience of negotiating with counterparts; and
- a commercial approach.
Barclays, BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, GE, Goldman Sachs, HSBC, JP Morgan, Lloyds Banking Group, Mizuho, Nomura, Rabobank, RBS, Santander, Société Générale
An established Associate Career Path Framework is in place clearly defining expectations and outlining opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities often arise for associates to spend time on secondment in house with a key client of the firm. From time to time, secondment opportunities also come up within other Ashurst offices in Europe, North America, Asia and Australia.