Paralegal - Housing, Development & Regeneration
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
The residential development team, one of the top specialist teams in the country, sits within the real estate group, one of the largest real estate practice in the UK. The merger with Lawrence Graham in London on 1 May further increases the size, scale and opportunities of the real estate group and the residential team in particular.
The residential development team comprises 4 partners and 15 lawyers focusing solely on advising residential developers. Around 90% of the team’s work is for national plc house builders, but it also acts for some commercial developers in relation to mixed use schemes, some smaller niche enterprises and some landowners.
Main Purpose of the Job
Our business is growing and we are looking for a Paralegal to join the Social Housing Conveyancing Team to manage your own volume caseload acting on behalf of Housing Associations and other housing providers in respect of: open market and shared ownership plot sales; Right to Buy and Right to Acquire transactions; Staircasing; Lease extensions; Surrender and Re-grants of retirement properties; Vacant Property Disposals and Shared Ownership Lease Assignments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role will have a residential social housing property focus and will be based in the Social Housing Conveyancing part of the team. You will be managing your own varied caseload of volume instructions using a case management system in relation to:
- Shared Ownership Plot Sales – Freehold and Leasehold for Housing Associations;
- Sale of properties under the Right to Buy/Right to Acquire scheme or under any Voluntary Sales Policy the Housing Association may operate;
- Vacant residential property sales / disposal of garden area land including preparation of Auction Packs;
- Lease extension requests – via both the Informal and Formal route;
- Staircasing transactions – Interim, Final and by a Mortgagee in Possession
- Shared Ownership Property Re-Sales - Dealing with Licences to Assign, Deed of Variations, Deed of Covenants and approval of Mortgage offers under the relevant lease provisions
- Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Senior Manager of the firm or Practice Operations Manager.
Key skills and experience
Working in an inclusive, sharing and collaborative culture you will be expected to play your part in ensuring the continuing success and growth of the team. Experience of working in a legal environment is essential
You should be able to:
- Manage your own caseload from instruction through to file closure, to tight deadlines, in accordance with client's agreed procedures and any service level agreement.
- Remain calm under pressure and prioritise your workload effectively.
- Work in a team environment (this may include working as part of a bigger project team) and support your colleagues.
- Give clear, practical advice with sound commercial judgment and swift accurate implementation of instructions.
- Understand property related deeds and documents with experience of drafting Leases, Transfers and other property related deeds and documents.
- Investigate title, carry out title reviews and prepare reports on title.
- Carry out searches, do research and analysis, deal with enquiries.
- Communicate appropriately and confidently at all levels within the team and the wider business as well as with clients, agents and other parties in person, by phone, letter, email or other communication means.
- Use your initiative to solve problems, resolve queries and be proactive.
- Manage financial hygiene.
You should have:
- Previous experience of working in a social housing / plot sales role ideally – however any candidate with experience in the residential property sector, having worked in a similar role, who can meet the other criteria in this specification, is encouraged to apply.
- Strong organisation and communication skills.
- Attention to detail and numeracy skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and confidence in liaising with others.
- Effective Time management skills.
- Excellent Keyboard, IT and data entry skills.
- Problem solving abilities.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
Apply for Paralegal - Housing, Development & Regeneration
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly