Associate / Senior Associate - Projects
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
Due to volume of committed big-ticket domestic and international mandates ( and a strong committed pipeline of high-profile domestic and international work over the coming couple of years) and a Partner relocation from Dubai to London , we are looking to recruit an experienced and adaptable Associate / Senior Associate in London to support the portfolio of developer and government-side project development work that we have in the UK, Africa, Central Europe and GCC. Having won several important mandates in 2017, as well as plaudits such as "Energy and Infrastructure Team of the Year" (British Legal Awards) and "Infrastructure Team of the Year Award" (The Lawyer), this is an exciting time to join an expanding team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The role will involve advising on the project development aspects of energy and infrastructure projects both domestically and internationally - particularly in Africa, Central Europe and the GCC.
The team has a broad mix of work advising government agencies and sponsors / developers on all aspects of project development from procurement, through the project contract and construction and operation arrangements..
Examples of current work you could be involved in:
- Power Project in Armenia. Advising the international developers of this IPP.
- Kenya. A number of PPP projects in Kenya where we are advising the procuring authority.
- Big-ticket mandate on the £1.5+ billion procurement of a core UK nationally significant infrastructure project.
The team is also a primary advisor to the UK Ministry of Defence, so there is likely to also be opportunities for you to get involved in defence related work. Similarly, the team is involved in a number of new nuclear and nuclear decommissioning mandates in the UK and overseas and it is likely that you will be called upon to get involved in these.
Key skills and experience
- Solid construction/project development experience
- Experience of working on project agreements, including some or all of: PPP / PFI, PPAs, EPC contracts and O&M Agreements.
- Experience of UK public procurements (UCR, PCR) is desirable
- Strong and keen interest in business development
- Travel to Africa and the GCC is likely to be a requirement of this role.
- Familiarity with, and willingness to negotiate some aspects of, core project finance documents at least from borrower side (noting that specialist support will always be available from separate finance team).
- Oral and written language, such as French or other languages relevant to our African practice would be advantageous (but not essential).
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.