Senior Associate - Development & Projects
This is an exciting time to join Howard Kennedy. The firm has completed two recent mergers and has moved to smart new offices at London Bridge. The firm has grown quickly, both in terms of revenue and profitability, and is an ambitious firm looking to exploit the potential that these mergers have brought.
The Development & Projects team at Howard Kennedy comprises around 25 lawyers and paralegals and handles some of the firm’s largest clients, including Galliard and Ballymore.
The team now seeks an experienced Senior Associate with the capability to deal with a range of development work, including site sales and purchases, development agreements and site assembly, complex overage arrangements, option agreements, drafting new leases and supplemental documentation for both commercial and residential elements of developments, experience of affordable housing transactions, experience of rights of light issues, dealing with CLLS Certificates of Titles, dealing with property aspects of funding arrangements, acting for developers on ground rent sales. The work frequently involves complex sites where the need for a very high level of knowledge and experience is required to advise on and draft the required documents and agreements.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Effectively responding to client queries in relation to acquisition, site assembly, development agreements, and subsales.
- Previous exposure to and the ability to advise clients on structuring.
- The ability to draft complex documentation, identifying and analysing all legal and commercial issues.
- Ensuring timely delivery of commercially-focused work, completed to high quality and consistent standards.
- Acting as a trusted adviser through demonstrating and applying a thorough understanding of the client, sector and associated risks.
- Identifying and converting new business opportunities to progressively develop a client portfolio.
- Managing the performance of junior colleagues through ensuring they are given stretching work, timely and constructive feedback and other opportunities consistent with their personal development needs.
- Planning and supervising the work of project teams/junior colleagues/business services colleagues effectively; recognising issues that require research, delegating and allocating resources properly.
- A qualified solicitor with extensive experience in dealing with all aspects of real estate development work.
- Some experience in dealing with affordable housing work preferred.
- Some experience in dealing with the set-up of large scale residential estates preferred.
- A demonstrable interest in real estate and the type of work carried out
- A strong technical grounding
- Intelligence and ability to deal with complex problems
- Have a commercial approach to problem solving and providing innovative solutions
- Organisation: working to tight deadlines where the input of others is often required, keeping a diary, organising files and carrying out all necessary administrative tasks
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Confident and effective advocacy/communications style, acting as facilitator but also be able to take the lead when required
- Ability to see matters as a whole and to be able to identify what it takes to get the job done/consider settlement/best solutions for client
- Ability to manage and prioritise workload
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual holiday
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Season Ticket Loan
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme