This is an exciting time to join Howard Kennedy. The firm has completed two recent mergers and has moved to smart new offices at London Bridge. The firm has grown quickly, both in terms of revenue and profitability, and is an ambitious firm looking to exploit the potential that these mergers have brought.
This role is a great opportunity to join the firm's thriving construction practice group. The team consists of 1 Partner and 2 solicitors. The position requires the candidate to have solid experience in both contentious and non-contentious construction law gained through working for a law firm with a recognised construction practice. The candidate's experience should be predominately UK based but experience of working in other jurisdictions will be viewed as a positive.
The preferred candidate will be able to demonstrate good BD skills by showing the development of client relationships as well as the use of traditional and social media to provide clients and targets with information and market knowledge. Good financial management should be demonstrated and the ability to demonstrate clients willing to move with the candidate would be a good way to show the candidates ability to form and develop lasting and profitable business relationships.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Extensive knowledge and experience of drafting and negotiating with all of the main standard form construction contracts and appointments, including all of the standard forms produced by the JCT, NEC, ACE, RIBA, CIC and FIDIC.
- Experience in acting for all parties involved in the construction process will be a pre-requisite, including funds, developers, occupiers, contractors and consultants as well as having good relationships with agents, project managers and brokers involved in the construction industry.
- Strong exposure to both contentious and non-contentious work
- Previous experience working for developers, project funders in respect of commercial and residential development schemes
- A detailed knowledge of drafting bonds, guarantees and dealing with facility and development agreements will need to be demonstrated.
- In terms of dispute resolution, the candidate needs to be able to demonstrate that they have successfully managed the process from start to successful conclusion including the preparation of a case for adjudication/trial/arbitration, as well as having actual responsibility for the conduct of the matter through the dispute resolution process.
- Experience of instructing and having a good working relationship with specialist construction Counsel needs to be demonstrated as does a knowledge and understanding of dispute avoidance and dispute resolution strategy.
- The candidate will have good communication skills and will be working in a team alongside junior and senior colleagues.
- Relevant experience in construction law
- The ability to demonstrate a strong track record in business development activities
- To be commercially minded and pragmatic
- An ability to organise their own time and work to ensure they are responsive to clients' needs and are able to work to completion deadlines
- Exceptional client facing skills and able to operate as a 'trusted advisor'
- Ambitious and the eager to develop long standing client relationships
- A demonstrable interest in the built environment and the type of work carried out
- A broad technical grounding across construction law issues
- Intelligence and ability to deal with complex problems
- Have a commercial approach to problem solving and providing innovative solutions
- Ability to work under pressure
- Organisation: working to tight deadlines where the input of others is often required, keeping a diary, organising files and carrying out all necessary administrative tasks
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Confident and effective advocacy/communications style, acting as facilitator but also be able to take the lead when required
- Ability to get on with clients and other colleagues at all levels
- Ability to see matters as a whole and to be able to identify what it takes to get the job done/consider settlement/best solutions for client
- Ability to manage and prioritise workload
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual holiday
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance
- Interest free Season Ticket Loan
- Private Healthcare
- Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme