Head of Marketing
The Brand, Communications & Marketing (BCM) function plays an important role in supporting the Firm in achieving its vision and progressing its strategy. Increasing our ability and opportunities to engage with our clients and wider stakeholder groups through compelling, differentiated and data-driven marketing programmes will underpin our future strategic and commercial success.
The Head of Marketing is a new role in the Firm. It reflects our appetite to develop and embed the best of professional service and B2B marketing practice in the Firm, and to embrace the opportunities presented by a fast-evolving digital marketing landscape.
The role holder will leverage strategic, organisationally-informed marketing best practice to deliver brand, reputation and commercial advantage to the Firm.
The role holder will establish marketing priorities for the Firm and will work with the BCM team globally to help drive their implementation.
They will help drive best of breed digital content marketing strategies, integrated with wider offline marketing, communications and business development programmes that will ensure Clifford Chance stands out in a highly competitive global legal landscape.
The role holder will act as a trusted advisor, guiding the business to develop and deliver high impact marketing communications that resonate with our stakeholder audiences.
The role holder will have a high-profile position within the Firm's international brand, communications and marketing community as well as leading a central team of 11 spanning digital marketing and campaigns, brand and events.
They will be a powerful role model and ambassador for the global function.
- Develop marketing strategies, programmes and plans that will differentiate us in the market, create compelling points of engagement with our clients and support the execution of key aspects of the Firm's strategy, particularly in relation to our clients.
- Work with colleagues across the global BCM team, the global Client, Market & Development team and with partners and lawyers in business lines and product areas to ensure our marketing activities are strategically and commercially aligned, are audience-driven, informed by data and focused on delivering meaningful ROI.
- Maximise the visibility, impact and value of the Firm's intellectual capital and content, through creative, planned and audience-focused marketing.
- Guide internal stakeholders to develop high-quality, high-impact, strategically and commercially driven digital and offline marketing strategies that reinforce our brand and provide excellent user experience.
- Increase awareness of marketing best practice, especially in the areas of digital and content marketing, and drive greater adoption across the Firm.
- Stay abreast of emerging trends, technologies and practice in the marketing arena considering how they may be relevant to the Firm and add value to our activities and stakeholder experience and can be implemented successfully in the Clifford Chance environment.
Areas of responsibility
- Continue to evolve the Firm's digital marketing strategy, based on an understanding of evolving best practice in a fast-changing technology landscape.
- Ensure that the Firm's use of digital platforms meets the shifting expectations of our stakeholders, using data and analytics to understand user journeys and online experience. Combine this with creativity to increase impact, engagement and alignment.
- Drive improved integration of digital into our overall marketing programmes. Increase understanding of the most effective deployment of digital content marketing strategies and support more sophisticated and informed digital marketing activities.
- Work with the Firm's IT and project management functions to identify and evaluate new digital marketing products that will deliver incremental value to our clients and the Firm. Help establish the business case, understand change requirements, and secure buy-in.
- Working with the business, identify, gain buy-in for and develop new channels and products that support the Firm’s strategy and commercial priorities.
- Help embed a more integrated and planned approach to content marketing across the Firm, working with stakeholders across the business to improve practice.
- Maximising content engagement, including developing more impactful and effective and client-driven publishing strategies.
- Support and encourage the drive for ever more consistent branding – including across visual identity, messaging and market positioning.
- Help the team to drive the adoption of best practice for our events, increasing business alignment and client and business value.
- With the events team put in place improved processes for client tracking and for managing risk and event spend.
- Manage and develop a team of marketers in London and support the development of others with marketing responsibilities around the Firm's global network. Ensure the team is motivated, empowered and supported to deliver ever greater value to the Firm and its stakeholders.
- Coach team members and other colleagues on best practice, driving up overall marketing standards across the Firm.
- Manage the central marketing budget and work with business lines and international offices to budget for new marketing initiatives.
- Act as the lead marketing contact for the Client and Market Intelligence team, IT function and global project management building constructive, collaborative and productive relationships.
- Oversee or lead on key supplier relationships ensuring they provide sustainable value to the Firm through their strategic thinking, high-quality delivery, creativity, market insight, deployment of best practice and robust pricing.
You will have extensive experience across the marketing mix with a particularly strong background in digital marketing and content marketing.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in designing and implementing effective marketing strategies.
- Successful campaign development, project planning and management, including the ability to work across functions and business lines to deliver complex initiatives.
- A strong track record in deploying new digital marketing channels, campaigns and tactics; and embedding best practice.
- The ability to successfully leverage content to build brand profile and market reputation.
- Experience in improving processes to increase efficiency and impact.
- Experience in a professional services or complex, high-profile B2B environment, preferably with international exposure.
- A strong strategic mind-set and commercial acumen, able to provide advice that is aligned with the Firm's goals, culture and organisational structures. Able to marry that strategic thinking with pragmatic delivery, and a willingness to roll up your sleeves and get involved on project implementation.
- Data literate – able to – and in the habit of – using data to drive improvements.
- The ability to work effectively in a complex influence-based matrix structure, interfacing successfully with a wide range of teams, willing to engage with senior stakeholders, gaining buy-in for new approaches and ways of working.
- Experience across a range of digital marketing platforms, particularly the Adobe suite.
- A confident people manager and motivating team leader, adept at identifying and developing talent, with strong coaching skills.
- A track record of being a highly collaborative team-player, with high levels of personal accountability, who welcomes the opportunity to work with others to identify opportunities and solutions, and who builds strong working relationships across stakeholder groups.
- Resilient under pressure.
- Excellent oral and written skills and a persuasive communicator.
- Commitment to developing your own skills and understanding of best practice.
- The ability to work with a global perspective, with sensitivity to multiple and diverse cultures.
- Excellent prioritising skills and the ability to make judgement calls on where to add value.
- Ability to demonstrate a track record of being pro-active and delivering high quality work both personally and through a team.