Head of Business Continuity & Resilience
The Head of Business Continuity & Resilience will provide hands-on subject matter expertise in support of the firm’s business continuity program, to include continuity of operations, disaster recovery, emergency preparedness, and crisis management. This position will collaborate with individuals from all business services areas (IT, HR, Marketing etc) and client-facing practice groups to develop, implement, maintain and execute business continuity plans that meet the strategic, tactical and operational needs of the firm. This position will work closely with senior management, Information Technology, General Counsel, Operational Risk Management, Marketing, HR, Finance, and other stakeholders.
This role could be based in our Edinburgh or London office working with colleagues across the international network and therefore the role will require extensive travel.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Head of Business Continuity and Resilience will:
- Perform Business Impact Analyses and Risk Assessments across all practice groups and service areas of the firm, working with senior leadership, managers/owners of key business activities, subject matter experts and other stakeholders
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the business processes, facilities, equipment, IT networks/environment, regulatory requirements and interdependencies within the firm.
- Based on the Business Impact Analyses, update the firm's current business continuity framework, and plans, identifying the appropriate strategies and tactics to achieve continuity, as well as appropriate threat mitigation measures and incident response structures
- Maintain the currency of Business Continuity Plans and all subordinate and supporting documentation such as policies, procedures, specialist plans, templates, standards, to support the deployment, validation and management of the program
- Develop an exercise program / simulation scenarios, and coordinate / run business continuity exercises to train and prepare the firm to respond to crisis events, and as a method for validating the accuracy and completeness of the plans.
- Promote the importance of business continuity and resilience across the firm
- Ensure all of the above is done to comply with ISO22301
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor or Master's Degree qualified (or equivalent) in business management, risk management, emergency planning or business continuity management
- Business Continuity and Resilience expert preferred (MBCI , FBCI or equivalent)
- Significant and extensive experience in business resilience and continuity, theory and practice
- Information security or cyber security expertise/knowledge beneficial
- Demonstrated technical expertise in BCP documentation, including Business Impact Analysis, Incident Management and Business Continuity planning
- Expert trainer able to inspire and influence busy executives to engage with the Business Continuity / Crisis Management programme.
- Excellent ability to manage stakeholders, driving action and challenging inaction
- Strong partnership abilities; skilled in influencing and motivating others especially senior leaders
- Strong project management, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including presentation development and delivery
- Proven ability to design and deliver well thought through, relevant and challenging exercise scenarios to all levels of business continuity teams
- Ability to work independently and think critically
- A strong service focus with the need to listen and understand the essential requirements of different areas of the firm
- Ability to build connections and work collaboratively across boundaries at all levels
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
At DLA Piper we are firmly committed to diversity and inclusion. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
We offer exceptional career opportunities to our lawyers, aspiring graduates, and business services professionals in a truly challenging and rewarding environment.