Risk Management Legal Counsel
Travel will be expected where necessary, to serve the business needs of all countries/offices across International.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- assist the Senior Claims Counsel with daily claims management and resolution for DLA Piper International LLP
- act as key point of contact and trusted business advisor on Risk and Professional Indemnity issues to the PI Partners, Risk Partners, CMPs/OMPs and their respective leadership and partner teams
- develop the important relationships with the firm's brokers and insurers, seeking to promote the firm's reputation throughout
- assist the PI Team with the annual insurance placement of the firm, liaising with the firm's brokers and senior management as appropriate and managing the internal information, including the vroom, required to support a successful placement
- be responsible for identifying claims trends from the management information captured
- assist with any regulatory or internal investigations which may or may not be connected with a potential PI claim
- where possible, support Risk training initiatives and Risk audits to ensure lessons learned from PI notifications are understood; contribute, as a member of LRC, to firm-wide Risk strategies, initiatives and projects
- working closely with the Senior Claims Counsel, assist with the notification of all claims across the firm handling matters from inception, through external and internal notification and reporting as required, including updating the firm's communications team to manage reputation risk
- work closely with the Senior Claims Counsel to prepare and deliver regular updates to each practice group head on new, live and significant PI claims relevant to their practice(s) and support the delivery of any training initiative on PI within local practice groups and offices
- ensure the maintenance of relevant files and records and the implementation of the firm's International Claims Handling procedures, to include identifying claims trends from the management information captured and ensure those trends are reported on and form part of risk training to prevent further incidents
- work together with relevant team members in order to ensure appropriate and effective PI insurance arrangements for Brand Integrated, DLA Piper Africa, and other relationship firms
- support the approval process for external appointment applications and be responsible for maintaining the firm's central records of the same
- support the communications and relationships with the captive insurer Mallory, including all relevant preparation for Mallory meetings
- support the role of the Claims Manager, and work closely to ensure accuracy in relation to the management of control sheets, claim and premium payments, budgets, project work and local PI renewals
- work with the Head of Risk Management and Head of Compliance in the resolution of contentious complaints and regulatory reports/investigations and assist in connected activities to protect the reputation of the firm.
- working together with the Senior Claims Counsel and other Risk colleagues, lead the delivery of consistent and agreed training messages on mistakes being made by legal professionals, including developing up to date presentations to be delivered on Career Academy courses and on other Risk training delivered
- support the LRC team's drive to produce more internal training elements online, including a claims and insurance video
- lead on PI elements required as part of the annual compliance declaration
- contribute actively, as a member of the International LRC team, to the development and delivery of the team's Annual Action Plan and other firm-wide risk priorities
Investigations & Risk Audits
- where possible, support LRC audits within the UK and Europe, collaborating with the Regional Risk Manager with responsibility for the audit to ensure the timing, method and delivery outcome in respect of those audits
- collaborate with the central LRC team to fully prepare for each audit whilst ensuring that the preparation is as efficient as possible
- support the preparation of the audit report
- support the Head of Risk Management in relation to any material investigations which occur, which may lead to regulatory investigation/censure or litigation
- assist with all legal, regulatory and compliance issues, incidents and queries which may arise, escalating those as appropriate to other risk specialists in the LRC team
- supporting the Head of Compliance in relation to compliance requirements and initiatives and work closely together on the annual compliance declaration, ensuring all PI issues are duly notified
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- be a self-starter, who is able to work on their own initiative as well as being part of a team, and has a strong client service orientation
- possess a high level of commercial acumen and analytical skills
- have a sound understanding of contemporary Risk practices, as well as the business of law
- be able to think strategically and creatively
- build and maintain strong relationships both within and outside the firm, acting as an effective brand ambassador for DLA Piper, and an internal change agent
- be comfortable operating in sometimes ambiguous situations, demonstrating a flexible and collaborative personal working style
- be comfortable multi-tasking and working to sometimes conflicting timescales and multiple priorities in a robust and fast-paced environment;
- be financially literate and technologically savvy, including a good working knowledge of the firm's IT tools
- have a law degree and current practicing certificate and be willing the undertake specific risk management training/accreditation, where required
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
At DLA Piper we are firmly committed to diversity and inclusion. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
We offer exceptional career opportunities to our lawyers, aspiring graduates, and business services professionals in a truly challenging and rewarding environment.