This is a new role within our central research team at DLA Piper. Led by the Head of International Knowledge & Insight, our team provides business and legal research support to our offices in the UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.The nature of our support is wide-ranging from troubleshooting information databases, sourcing laws and regulations and seeking commentary on new legal developments through to producing company profiles, assessing our competitive environment and helping to deepen our people's understanding of the industry sectors in which our clients operate. This role reports to the regional Research Manager with dotted line reporting to the Research Manager for our Briefings service.
The team operates extended business hours (currently 9am Sydney time - 6pm London time) and we encourage applicants looking for shift or non-standard working arrangements.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Your role is core to the team's work as you will be one of our new anchors of business research
- You will be involved in establishing our business research knowledge base through researching and monitoring our clients and their sectors and markets and developing and maintaining profiles based on your research
- You will help to keep our lawyers up-to-speed on developments you unearth through regular briefings and at times working with them and our business development teams to provide research input for projects, events and training that they may be running
- You will play an essential role in our research enquiries service. This service provides everyone in the firm with assistance on any research query they may have whatever the topic
- You will be responsible for assessing and triaging requests to ensure they are handled in the most appropriate way for us to deliver the best results. This may be to delegate to others in the team, sometimes more junior and so under your supervision, or to pass to our network of specialists within the team or elsewhere in the firm
- When appropriate you will undertake the research yourself or manage and co-ordinate how we fulfil a complex request
- The scope of this role is very broad with great opportunity to develop deep knowledge in sectors that match your interests and experience
- You will also have regular interaction with our lawyers, business developments teams and other internal clients and you will be given a significant autonomy to take personal responsibility and to work under your own initiative to deliver effectively the research support needed.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Strong research skills are vital for this role, which means you will be able to demonstrate the ability to think critically and analytically, undertake research methodically, summarise and abstract what you read
- Professional with a customer focused attitude and a practical can-do mentality. You will be commercially astute with a solution-oriented approach to work
- Able to handle competing priorities and expectations in a fast-paced environment whilst maintaining a calm and professional manner. You will have strong probing, consultative listening skills coupled with the ability to negotiate and persuade
- A self-starter who can work autonomously with minimal supervision and takes ownership of responsibilities, taking the initiative to do what is needed and following through as appropriate.
- A team player and recognises the importance of the team. You build strong working relationships in both physical and virtual teams and are a reliable and flexible team member
- Self-aware and takes responsibility for your own self-development to ensure your knowledge and skills remain current, commercial and reflects best practice
- Interested in international affairs and the impact of these on the business and legal environment and has a general awareness of economic, financial and general business concepts. You are generally intellectually curious and have an investigative mind
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in English and ideally working knowledge of either a major European or Asian language
- Experience of using major legal or business digital research resources. You will be generally proficient using the internet and finding publically available information as well as the ability to conducting research in print resources
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
At DLA Piper we are firmly committed to diversity and inclusion. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
We offer exceptional career opportunities to our lawyers, aspiring graduates, and business services professionals in a truly challenging and rewarding environment.