Specialist Research Analyst (Financial Services)
This role reports to the Research Manager for our briefings service which conducts regular research based on the ongoing needs of the different practice and sector groups in the firm to help them stay up-to-date on key legal, client, sector and market developments.
The nature of the team's work is wide-ranging from troubleshooting information databases, sourcing laws and regulations and seeking commentary on new legal developments through to producing company profiles, assessing our competitive environment and helping to deepen our lawyers' understanding of the industry sectors in which our clients operate. The team operates extended business hours (currently 9am Sydney time - 6pm London time) and we welcome applicants looking for non-standard working arrangements.
Your role is core to the team's work as you will be one of our new anchors of business research for the firm internationally. You will have regular interaction with our lawyers, business development teams and other internal clients and you will be given significant autonomy to take personal responsibility and work under your own initiative to effectively deliver the research support needed.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- monitor and provide regular briefings (written and webinars/seminars) on developments in the sector internationally and on specific markets, clients and competitor activity
- support research queries requiring specialist sector knowledge
- provide research input for sector client events and training, external publications, pitches and other business development initiatives
- take responsibility for establishing a knowledge base for the Financial Services sector knowledge. This will be done through developing and maintaining research notes, company and client profiles and other content from the research and monitoring you undertake
- assist in evaluating and procuring research and information resources required to support the knowledge needs of our lawyers involved in the sector
- assist in identifying and supporting training and learning needs regarding knowledge about the sector, including use of sector specific research tools, for our lawyers, business development teams and other research team members. This may include delivering training.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
Strong research skills are vital for this role, which means you will be able to demonstrate the ability to:
- think critically and analytically
- undertake research methodically
- summarise and abstract what you read
- synthesise multiple information you find
- draw conclusions and provide insight, whilst identifying the foundation and assumptions to those conclusions
- professional with a customer-focused attitude and you will be commercially astute with a solution-oriented approach to work
able to handle competing priorities and expectations in a fast-paced environment whilst maintaining a calm and professional manner. You will have strong probing, consultative listening skills coupled with the ability to negotiate and persuade
quality-oriented with high attention to detail and willingness to make the extra effort if necessary to complete what is required to a high standard
a self-starter who can work autonomously with minimal supervision and who takes ownership of responsibilities, taking the initiative to do what is needed and following through as appropriate
a team player and who recognises the importance of the team. You build strong working relationships in both physical and virtual teams and are a reliable and flexible team member
self-aware and who takes responsibility for your own self-development to ensure your knowledge and skills remain current, commercial and reflects best practice. You will have the aptitude and enthusiasm to learn how to use new databases and IT tools, including workflow management tools and information aggregator products, to continuously improve your way of working
interested in international affairs and the impact of these on the business and legal environment and who has a general awareness of economic, financial and general business concepts. You are generally intellectually curious and have an investigative mind
We expect you will have:
at least five years' experience conducting research into the financial services industry, ideally working within a professional services environment, or similar fast-paced corporate environment
excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in English and ideally working knowledge of either a European or Asian language
proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint. Familiarity with SharePoint would be an advantage
experience of using major business digital research resources such as Bloomberg, Lexis, OneSource/Avention, BvD (Mint/Orbis), Capital IQ and other Financial Services sector specific research resources such as Factset, Preqin, Debtwire, Eurekahedge and PitchBook. You will be generally proficient using the internet and finding publicly available information
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world.
We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
At DLA Piper we are firmly committed to diversity and inclusion. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued.
We offer exceptional career opportunities to our lawyers, aspiring graduates, and business services professionals in a truly challenging and rewarding environment.