Senior / Principal Associate - Specialist Real Estate Services (SRES)
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
Primarily providing advice on commercial property issues of cross firm transactions including corporate, projects/PFI and insolvency transactions as well as large property investment transactions and general commercial property transactions.
Providing environmental advice to the Real Estate Group, Corporate Group and Projects teams in relation to the above transactions as well as advising on stand- alone environmental matters.
Providing property support for the Energy and Health teams within the firm
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in a dedicated team comprising two partners and 7 other fee earners advising clients such as Amey, Close Brothers Limited, GKN, Lloyds Development Capital, Lloyds Bank, Sanctuary Housing, Severn Trent as well as over 30 FTSE 100 companies and a number of multi-national clients such as Volvo and H J Heinz.
The role will involve the property and environmental elements of:
- Flotation’s (full and AIM)
- Joint ventures
- Management buy-ins and buy-outs
- Mergers, acquisitions and disposals
- Public offers
- Public to privates
- Reports on title
- Certificates on title
- Due diligence on multi property transactions
- Insolvency (administration and LPA receivership) work
Opportunity will be given to become involved in work in energy and health sectors.
Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner, Senior Manager or Group Support Manager of the firm.
Key skills and experience
The ideal candidate will have:
- A desire to advise on a range of commercial property work, ideally with a focus on multi property transactions
- A strong academic background and training within a regarded commercial property department
- Experience of telephone liaison with clients and internal personnel of all levels
- Experience reviewing and, ideally, negotiating property transaction documentation
- Experience in dealing with non - contentious environmental matters in property and corporate transactions including reviewing and reporting on phase 1 and 2 reports, negotiating environmental risk transfer clauses, indemnities and warranties, agreeing reliance letters, and knowledge in relation to CRC, asbestos, ESOS, waste and environmental permitting.
- Experience of working within a team on complex matters
- Extensive experience of running a caseload under partner supervision
- Excellent time management and organisation skills
- Team player who is willing to get involved in new areas of work
- Comfortable dealing with clients, under appropriate levels of supervision
- Sound drafting, negotiation and problem solving skills
- Calm under pressure
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- We advised the Gary Lineker Consortium on its acquisition of Leicester City Football Club from administrators and subsequent disposal to Milan Mandaric.
- We acted for GKN on the property and environmental aspects of the £1.06 billion corporate sale of their interest in Westland to Finmeccanica.
- We acted for Nomura on the £280 million acquisition of the Earls Court and Olympia complex.
- We acted for Dolland & Aitchinson on its merger with Boots involving 640 properties.
- We acted for Lloyds Development Capital on its purchase of Antler out of administration, on its investment in Mountain Warehouse involving 107 properties, and its acquisition of Forest Holidays.
- We acted for TPG Capital on its acquisition of Republic involving 109 properties.
- We acted for Amey on its £3.8bn PFI deal to maintain Birmingham’s highways.
- We acted for the liquidators on the sale of Auto Windscreens involving 90 properties.
- We acted for Premier Foods on its £182m sale of Crosse & Blackwell and Fray Bentos.
- We acted for Morrisons on its acquisition of stores from Jessops, Blockbuster and HMV
- We acted for Sanctuary Housing Association on its acquisition of Cosmopolitan Housing Group
- We acted for Arena Coventry Limited on the return of Coventry City FC to the Ricoh Arena.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
Apply for Senior / Principal Associate - Specialist Real Estate Services (SRES)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly