Client & Market Development Manager - Capital Markets
Clifford Chance has an ambitious global strategy which puts clients at the very heart of everything the Firm does. We have a clear mandate around developing our existing strengths and relationships whilst increasing our market share in new markets. Our Client & Market Development function ("C&MD") is pivotal in making the Firm strategy a reality. C&MD teams work strategically with our Global Business Units – all with the same vision "to be the global law firm of choice for the world’s leading businesses of today and tomorrow".
In this role, you will be part of the C&MD team supporting the development of Clifford Chance's Finance & Capital Markets ("F&CM") practices in London. The role will primarily support the London Capital Markets lawyers in their client and market development initiatives, and work with the F&CM and wider business development teams (including those in other offices) to facilitate the flow of information and highlight cross-selling opportunities across our global network.
The London Capital Markets practice is recognised as a market-leading team of lawyers, working with many of the world's pre-eminent financial institutions, investors and corporations. This role is business critical in its support to this team and is an opportunity for a BD professional to make a huge impact within F&CM more generally and to influence what the future Capital Markets proposition will look like across the Firm.
This is a strategic role requiring a strategic, high-energy individual who will be able to adopt a problem-solving approach to day-to-day support; guide others in resolving complex issues; play a key role in setting best practice and take the lead on the successful delivery of cross-border and/or cross-practice initiatives.
The successful candidate will also be expected to manage a client account(s), actively support a global industry sector team and have line management responsibilities
- Shape the practice business planning process
- Proactively spot opportunities and develop positioning statements to impact pipeline
- Oversee the effective pursuit of opportunities, incl. everything from coaching lawyers to capturing practice deal credentials
- Manage the cross-practice production of strategically significant RfP responses, pitches and credential statements.
Reputation management and marketing communications
- Take an external view with the aim to build profile and pipeline opportunities for function and firm
- Evaluate, project manage and implement best practice to business development campaigns, client events, conferences, sponsorships, advertising, PR,etc.
- Oversee multiple marcomms projects, including the delivery of directory/awards submissions, client briefings and product positioning statements
- Support global, local and cross-practice initiatives for a sector/sub-sector focus team, e.g. marketing and internal communications.
- Take a leadership role in client relationship management, by applying depth of product knowledge to support client programmes that run across the F&CM practices
- Manage client account(s) and take lead role in client planning, client development and client feedback initiative
- Work with Client Development Managers on F&CM-related strategic client activity.
- Shape the C&MD team by managing individual(s) by (commercial and personal development) objectives
- Foster a collaborative environment by mentoring junior staff
- Build strong working relationship with peers and more junior C&MD team members across the firm.
In order to perform this role successfully, the candidate will require:
- Previous experience in professional services business development (preferably in a law firm) and broad experience in dealing with senior management and key stakeholders
- A strong interest in financial products and the financial regulatory trends
- Previous line management responsibility
- Good commercial awareness of legal, banking and financial market developments
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline
- A track record of being proactive and delivering high quality work
- Excellent project management skills, as well as being a good team player
- High quality written communication skills
- The ability to be creative (e.g. BD techniques, ideas)
- Coaching, influencing and presentation skills and be confident, articulate, resilient and focused.