Client & Market Development Manager - Corporate M&A
Clifford Chance has an ambitious global strategy which puts clients at the very heart of everything the Firm does. We have a clear mandate around developing our existing strengths and relationships whilst increasing our market share in new markets. Our Client & Market Development function is pivotal in making the Firm's vision a reality. Client & Market Development teams work strategically with our Global Business Units - all with the same vision "to be the global law firm of choice for the world’s leading businesses of today and tomorrow".
Our leading UK Corporate and M&A practice is among a small group of elite firms at the top of the market. We advise clients on public and private M&A, disposals, demergers, joint ventures, restructurings, corporate governance and regulatory compliance, with a particular focus on complex, cross-border transactions. Our integrated practice includes experts in corporate/M&A, antitrust/competition, funds and investment management, financial institutions, insurance, private equity and technology. This expertise spans a wide range of sectors, including but not limited to banks, private equity, healthcare, funds, consumer goods & retail, industrials, transport and logistics, energy and resources (oil and gas, power and mining), technology, media and telecoms.
In this role you will support partners across the London Corporate practice (in particular the M&A Group), through the delivery and project management of business development, client focus and marketing initiatives.
The role will work with partners, associate and client teams on specific business development opportunities, including: research in relation to prospective clients and market opportunities; client development planning; creation and delivery of pitch documentation; and project management and strategic guidance to partners on winning new business and developing existing clients. You will be expected to work collaboratively with Partners, Associates and your CMD team members across the London Corporate Practice on some of the major panel and transactional pitch opportunities that the team is asked to support, contribute to, and advise on. The opportunities are typically multi-jurisdictional meaning close collaboration is necessary with offices throughout the network.
You will be responsible for the execution of targeted client development campaigns to key clients in the London Corporate Practice via key initiatives such as Risk and Corporate Treasury, working closely together with the Head of Corporate Thought Leadership.
You will be responsible for the Industrials Sector Group in London, supporting the London Corporate Sector Leaders on client targeting and acquisition, trends and cross selling opportunities.
The role will also require the successful candidate to manage and lead on several key client relationships (including three GSC125 client accounts). This will include organising and co-ordinating global teams, identifying and responding to opportunities, as well as business planning and reporting. Through supporting these accounts you will be expected to meet with clients and will be seen as one of the core team delivering instrumental relationship support.
Key Responsibilities :
- Manage the production of RFP responses, pitches, capability and credential statements
- Work with C&MD team to coach partners on effective pitch preparation and presentation
- Develop and maintain processes for the effective and efficient production of capability statements and pitches
- Manage and improve the process for capturing deal information in the global matter database.
- Lead and support a select number of client teams (including two GSC125 clients), ensuring that information is shared between the client teams and client plans are implemented.
- Take an active role in client planning.
- Support core client development programmes for the Firm's Global Strategic Client Program and the London Corporate Practice
Sector Planning and Implementation
- Support the partners in preparation of annual business plans (23/24 M&A, industrials), based on comprehensive market research and support the implementation of these throughout the year.
- Advise on developing targeting strategies.
- Monitor emerging issues and commercial developments impacting the practice and sector.
- Actively project manage relevant directory, awards and league table submissions.
- Project manage the production and distribution of marketing communication materials.
- Work closely with the Head of Thought Leadership to deliver successful campaigns to clients.
- Manage any internal newsletters and contribute to wider office/regional/sector newsletters.
- Assist in maintaining the internet and intranet sites for Corporate.
- Evaluate and project manage business development campaigns, conferences and sponsorships.
- Manage and coordinate client events (both off and onsite).
- Assist with the project management of meetings/ events.
- Contribute and implement best practice and complete special projects as required.
- Direct line responsibility for at least one team member, subject to a successful probationary period
- Shape the Corporate C&MD team by managing individual(s) by (commercial and personal development) objectives
- Foster a collaborative environment by mentoring junior staff
- Build strong working relationship with peers and more junior C&MD team members across the firm.
In order to perform this role successfully, the candidate will require:
- Strong proven experience in professional services business development (preferably in a law firm) and broad experience in dealing with senior management and key stakeholders.
- Ideally, previous experience of a transactional practice.
- Good commercial awareness of legal and financial market developments.
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline.
- A track record of being proactive and delivering high quality work.
- Strong line management experience.
- Excellent project management skills, as well as being a good team player.
- High quality written communication skills.
- The ability to be creative (e.g. BD techniques, ideas).
- Coaching, influencing and presentation skills and be confident, articulate, resilient and focused.