Core Corporate Finance - Junior Associate
Purpose of job
To advise on Corporate Finance transactions
What’s in it for you?
This is an excellent opportunity for a proactive Junior Associate to join a top corporate practice in the city and work on a range of high profile multi-jurisdictional deals in a small yet growing team. You will have a real opportunity to make your mark within our Corporate Finance team and the wider Firm as a whole.
We invest strongly in the training available to our associates. Our corporate finance lawyers are seen as commercial, innovative and the role will enable you to have significant client contact. Your career is important to us and the success of our firm is driven by ensuring that every employee maximises their potential. Lawyers, PA’s and business services experts - everyone here has access to tailored learning to suit their skills and ambitions.
Making sure our people feel valued is part of our everyday culture, ensuring that they are rewarded is part of our everyday work too. From 25 days holiday per year to private medical insurance, pensions, charity schemes and a whole host of other flexible benefits, you can rest assured that we've got your best interests covered.
Join BLP, and you'll discover an environment unlike any other law firm with an open door policy that helps to deliver real results.
• Working in conjunction with a partner on public and private M&A transactions, including many with cross-border elements, and/or working in conjunction with a partner on equity capital markets transactions, including IPOs and secondary fundraisings
• Liaising with other departments in the firm on transactions and obtaining advice from overseas counsel on cross-border transactions
• Managing and developing existing client relationships with the relevant client relationship partner
• Assisting with the development of templates and other know-how and presenting at internal and external events on ECM and M&A topics
• You will build your legal knowledge by attending know-how meetings, conducting research and reading journals and legal updates
• Begin to develop and foster relationships with contacts and peers in client organisations and actively get involved in the Firm’s marketing business development work
Members of the Corporate Finance department and the wider Firm
Experience and knowledge
• 0-1 PQE
• Relevant corporate finance experience gained from a city, international or regional practice
Skills and competencies
• You will have excellent commercial and analytical skills and the ability to apply them to create innovative and commercial solutions
• You will have the highest standards of integrity and ethics
Client Relationships & Business Development
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to foster strong client relationships
• Solid understanding of the drivers of profitability and an interest in developing a broader understanding of commercial issues, the legal market and how they affect the Firm
• You will have excellent organisational and prioritising skills with the ability to manage multiple work demands allowing you to dedicate adequate time to fee earning and non-fee earning activities
• You will be driven, with stamina and resilience in the face of demanding situations
• You will be proactive and positive with a strong team focus, and a collaborative approach
• You will be able to establish strong working relationships with your colleagues with the highest level of professionalism and integrity
• You will have an inclusive approach, and help to foster a diverse and inclusive team and workplace
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of BLP. We are wholly committed to creating an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to make the most of their skills qualities and points of difference and, most importantly, be themselves.
We believe that our goals of always exceeding client expectations and being the most attractive place to work will only be achieved if we recruit, retain, reward and develop our people with regard to their abilities and contributions and without reference to their background, gender, gender identity, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.
BLP is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce. We are supportive of a range of working arrangements, tailored to you as an individual, wherever possible.
Please ask the Resourcing Team about the flexible working arrangements that are available to you within this role.
Please note that our PQE levels as stated in our job descriptions are a guide only and all suitable candidates will be considered.
BLP ensures all hardcopy materials and information stored electronically which contains confidential information is securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP (“BLP”) is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, BLP uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
BLP adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website:https://jobs.blplaw.com/.