Senior VAT / Indirect Tax Advisor / Associate
We are currently looking for an experienced VAT practitioner (with approximately 5-8 years PQE) to be part of the largest and most successful VAT team in an international law firm. This is a fantastic opportunity where you will be expected to get stuck into complex VAT projects for the world's largest and innovative companies. There is no better role in the market if you like being able to concentrate on technical VAT work, delivering work to the highest quality and are committed to excellent client service.
The role will involve working on standalone VAT projects but much of our work involves collaborating with other tax colleagues (direct tax, transfer pricing or wealth management). In addition, the role will involve multi-disciplinary projects with other teams (such as regulatory, corporate reorganisations or dispute resolution colleagues). Much of the work has an international element, and we work closely with colleagues globally.
The work is divided between advisory work, contentious work and transactional work. We have a large client base in the technology, digital, financial services, real estate and pharma sectors.
In terms of what we are looking for specifically:
- We need a confident person, who has excellent VAT technical skills, to manage significant client projects and support team members to deliver work of the highest quality.
- The team has a busy workload, but we need someone who is proactive in developing existing and new client relationships to continue the strong growth of the VAT practice.
Why should you apply for this role?
- You enjoy a varied technical VAT caseload and want to work on cutting edge projects
- You want to be rewarded for your expertise and hard work
- You want the opportunity to help lead and develop people as part of a successful practice
- You want to work with the largest multinational clients and have opportunities to develop new and existing client relationships
Baker McKenzie's tax team is unique in its size and depth of specialism. Globally, we have over 1,000 tax practitioners operating in 44 countries making our Tax practice the largest in the firm. In London, we have over 60 fee earners including 13 partners making us the largest law firm tax practice in the City. We have experts in transfer pricing, direct tax practitioners, wealth management, and VAT. The tax team is an important department for the Firm in London as we generate around 20% of the Firm's revenues both in London and globally.
VAT is an important part of the overall tax team with two partners, one counsel, two senior associates, and four associates specialising in VAT matters on a full time basis. In addition we work closely with one Counsel and two associates who specialise in Customs and Excise matters from our International Trade department.
The tax team has a strong team culture and is a genuinely nice group to work with. Our people drive our success so we aim to provide clear opportunities and support for personal development and career advancement for all team members. As we grow we also take steps to protect our distinctive team culture - we all work hard but we also like to have fun along the way.
We are ranked as Tier 1 in Legal 500 for Indirect Tax. In May 2017, the team was awarded Best VAT and Indirect Tax Team at Tolley's Taxation Awards 2017. The London tax team is ranked in Tier 1 in the International Tax Review's Global Tax Guide and Tier 1 for Transfer Pricing. This year we won the European Tax Firm of the Year award, the most prestigious award of the International Tax Review European Tax Awards Gala held in May. We also won UK Transfer Pricing Firm of the Year.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Strong VAT experience, at least part-obtained from a leading professional services organisation (i.e. Big Four or City law firm)
- Graduate - degree educated or comparable
- Professionally qualified: CTA/ATT, Solicitor, Barrister, Chartered Accountant or equivalent
- Excellent technical abilities and development potential
- Proactive and flexible, with an emphasis on reliability, responsiveness and delivery
- First class communicator - both strong verbally and orally - and able to develop relationships with key internal stakeholders and clients with ease
- Strong team player with a "client first" mentality.
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.