Associate - Real Estate Finance
Purpose of job
• To advise on a broad range of structured Real Estate Finance deals acting for BLP’s leading London based clients.
• The Manchester office was opened in 2014 and today is made up of almost 100 employees, including fee earners who provide expertise in Real Estate Finance, Real Estate, Real Estate Litigation and Employment.
• The office was opened in order to provide a centre of excellence in the key strategic areas of the firm’s business, focussing on differentiated delivery of legal work through legal process and information technology.
• The Real Estate Finance team already comprises of four professionals, headed by our experienced London Real Estate Finance partner who has relocated.
• Due to impressive growth in just 3 years, we are looking to a hire Real Estate Finance lawyer with a strong track record who is looking to undertake market leading work for some of the most significant lenders and borrowers in the UK Real Estate market.
What’s in it for you?
• You will be part of BLP’s UK Real Estate Finance team, albeit supervised by a senior Banking and Finance partner who has relocated from the London Real Estate Finance team and who will be permanently based with you in the Manchester office.
• You will work on Real Estate Finance deals sourced out of the Real Estate Finance London practice and will benefit from the London quality of these deals. You will work with other members of the UK Real Estate Finance team, including the other partners and may spend some of your time in the London office.
• You will join an established, partner-led Real Estate Finance team in Manchester, which acts on high quality real estate financings generated from our impressive Lender base in the City of London. We are the biggest Real Estate Finance team in the UK and are ranked as number 1 by the Legal 500. The BLP UK Real Estate Finance team offers expertise training and delivery of service that is second to none.
• We invest strongly in the training available to our associates. You will be able to develop your career in the biggest and most successful Real Estate Finance team in the UK, allowing you to gain exposure to an exceptionally wide range of real estate finance matters.
You will have the opportunity to:
• Assist in the structuring of transactions.
• Draft and negotiate facility, security, inter creditor and CP documents.
• Assist in the project management of deals working with other team members including partners, associates and paralegals.
Key areas of focus include:
• Investment property financing.
• Commercial and Residential development funding.
• Hotel Finance.
• Student Accommodation Finance.
• Healthcare Sector Finance.
• Loan portfolio sales/acquisitions.
• Real Estate Finance lawyers and paralegals in London and Manchester.
Experience and Knowledge
• Ideally between 0-2 years post qualification banking and finance experience.
• The ability to draft and negotiate facility agreements, security documents and related CPs.
• Experience of project managing a finance transaction.
• A good understanding of key Real Estate and Finance concepts and an appreciation and awareness of the Real Estate Finance market.
• Experience of working in a team on projects/transactions.
Skills and Competencies
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Project management skills.
• A team player with the ability to work in a collegiate environment.
• Commercially focussed with an intellectual curiosity.
• Confident in front of clients.
• Ability to work independently but know when to seek additional support.
• Clear and concise communication skills.
• Flexibility and adaptability.
Diversity, Inclusion and Working Differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of our firm. At BLP we aim to create an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to be themselves. BLP is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce and is supportive of flexible working arrangements, tailored to the individual, wherever possible.
Please feel free to speak to the Resourcing Team about the flexibility we are offering for this role.
Please note that our PQE levels as stated in our job descriptions are a guide only and all suitable candidates will be considered.
To ensure all hardcopy materials containing confidential information are securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
To ensure all confidential information stored electronically are securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP (“BLP”) is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, BLP uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
BLP adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with it legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: https://jobs.blplaw.com/.