Derivatives and Structured Products Paralegal
Purpose of job
Providing key support to BLP derivatives and structured products team, particularly its key clients (i.e. Bank of China, Commonwealth Bank of Australia).
What’s in it for you?
By joining this practice, you will have a leading role in negotiating complex documentation in a fast-paced setting. You will work for key clients and will be an integral member of the team.
Legal500 has the following to say about BLP’s derivatives and structured products team:
At Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP, “all lawyers respond very quickly and show a high level of knowledge”, says a client who highlights derivatives and structured products team head Tariq Rasheed. The firm is a standout advisor on regulatory reforms including EMIR, CRDIV, SFTR and MiFID II. “The partners are very hands-on and very adept at implementation on the regulatory side” remarks another client. Rasheed regularly advises investment banks, funds and corporates on securitised and OTC derivatives. Clients of the practice include Bank Hapoalim, United Bank of Israel and Bank of East Asia.”
• Based on playbooks and established guidelines, negotiating derivatives documentation on behalf of clients.
• Assisting with post completion tasks, including preparing execution bundles.
• Helping with research tasks, particularly on new developments within the derivatives industry.
• Drafting from precedent documents and compiling client know how.
Partners, Associates and Senior Paralegals in Manchester and London
Experience and knowledge
We are looking for someone with the following experience:
• Minimum of 3 A Levels (or equivalent) at grade B or above
• Law degree (minimum of 2.1) or GDL
• Proven track record of understanding the importance of excellent service delivery to clients
The following skills are desirable, but not essential:
• Legal Practice Course (LPC)
• Previous transactional experience as a Paralegal
Skills and competencies
• Attention to deal and strong drafting skills are key requirements
• Organised with a strong ‘can-do’ attitude
• Strong client relationship and influencing skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong IT skills (Word, Excel)
• Determination to complete work to the highest quality with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Calm under pressure
• Ability and willingness to turn work around quickly and sometimes work outside of standard hours
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of BLP. We are wholly committed to creating an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to make the most of their skills qualities and points of difference and, most importantly, be themselves.
We believe that our goals of always exceeding client expectations and being the most attractive place to work will only be achieved if we recruit, retain, reward and develop our people with regard to their abilities and contributions and without reference to their background, gender, gender identity, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.
BLP is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce. We are supportive of a range of working arrangements, tailored to you as an individual, wherever possible.
Please ask the Resourcing Team about the flexible working arrangements that are available to you within this role.
BLP ensures all hardcopy materials containing confidential information are securely stored and accessible to only those authorised to view such content.
BLP ensures all confidential information stored electronically is securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP (“BLP”) is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, BLP uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
BLP adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: https://jobs.blplaw.com/.