Associate (English or Dual Qualified)
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
No matter where our clients are in today’s competitive real estate market, advice with a global perspective is indispensable. Our clients need a team by their side to navigate this rapidly changing legal environment that’s often complicated by multijurisdictional issues. Whether they are an investor, lender, developer, landowner or tenant, a buyer or seller of real estate, they know the challenges of this market—and want experienced counsel from people who understand all their real estate needs.
At Dentons, we bring strong, established local, regional and global experience and know-how to help our clients succeed in all their real estate ventures and projects. With over 500 real estate lawyers and our commitment to an integrated approach, we give clients the comfort of a global presence with a deep understanding of the local real estate terrain. Because opportunities don’t wait, we anticipate trends and react with speed and certainty on client's behalf, collaborating with them every step of the way.
Whether our clients need expertise in real estate leasing, project finance, acquisition and disposition, development, construction, or investment, or they need the services of astute counsel to resolve a real estate dispute, our team of committed, respected professionals across the globe is keen to help our clients succeed. Where their needs extend beyond real estate, Dentons offers a panoply of legal expertise and services worldwide in all business-related areas, including: insolvency and debt restructuring, environmental and regulatory compliance, corporate structuring, taxation, and cross-border matters, to name but a few.
Purpose of role
This role will involve carrying out a wide range of core commercial property work, as part of a top-ranked Real Estate practice, representing clients across the UK in every sphere of the property industry from banks and institutional funds, to developers and property companies to retailers and leisure operators and a growing number of operators, developers and funders in renewables and energy and natural resources sectors.
- Transactional sales/purchases, leasing and portfolio management work and general commercial property work
- Assist on more complex development work
- Carry out client instructions, coordinate and liaise with other Dentons lawyers as required.
- Negotiate with other solicitors, escalating to partner level when necessary
- Draft documentation and predominantly email correspondence to clients/other solicitors
- To be proactive in relation to business development
- Participate in tender submissions, presentations, fact sheet preparation and bulletins.
- Complete all necessary administration documentation, e.g. time recording.
- Draft fee notes, liaise with administrative support staff and support other fee earners as necessary
- Promote Dentons professionally at all external functions.
- Train and develop trainees within the department, as appropriate
- Research or oversee delegation of research on technical matters as required.
- Attend and present in-house and external seminars
- To be able to work with minimum supervision, ensuring deadlines are met and high quality work is produced
Required experience, skills and attributes
- Associate (2-6 years' qualified) – English or Dual Qualified with English focus
- A proven ability within Real Estate, with experience of transactional sale/purchase, leasing and portfolio management and general commercial property work
- Ability to apply own legal initiative as an integral member of the team
- Proven ability to communicate well at all levels
- Enthusiasm and a desire to enjoy client contact, with ability to communicate effectively with internal and external clients of all levels
- Proven ability to organise and prioritise effectively
- Able to demonstrate flexibility and ability to adapt to change
- Proven ability to solve problems and deal with clients matters
- Teamwork - Maintains productive and harmonious relationships within own team and across the firm to achieve objectives. Promotes team based working and shares knowledge.
- Communication - Communicates clearly, concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Adaptability to change - Is receptive to changing requirements in the job and the firm. Adapts approach to meet new priorities and able to promote new ideas and improvements.
- Customer focus - Proactive in identifying and addressing the needs of clients and internal customers to ensure the delivery of valuable and efficient services.
- Problem Solving - Analyses problems and information, evaluates options and risks in order to identify the most appropriate solutions. Bases decisions on sound judgement and initiative.
- Achievement - Displays a high degree of commitment and purpose in pursuing objectives. Prioritises plans and organises workload. Focused and energetic in ensuring tasks are carried through to successful completion.
- Personal Effectiveness - Projects confidence, self-motivation and enthusiasm. Displays a positive attitude and demonstrates self-control when under pressure.
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities. In light of our recent combination, Mandarin language fluency would be particularly advantageous given that China is now core to our strategy.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.