Senior / Principal Associate - Corporate
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
The very highest quality legal advice delivered through a partner-led service makes our Corporate team a popular choice with clients ranging from the world's leading financial institutions and public companies to private businesses and entrepreneurs.
The team has extensive experience across the full spectrum of corporate advice including equity capital markets on AIM and the Full List, investment funds, private equity and both public and private mergers and acquisitions.
This transactional expertise is combined with sector knowledge including energy and natural resources, financial institutions, advanced engineering, health and life sciences, technology, infrastructure, government, insurance and funds.
Due to continued growth and success within our market leading Corporate practice, we are looking for M&A and Private Equity focussed lawyers to join our team in London.
For more information on our Corporate practice, please click on the following link:
Main Purpose of the Job
Advising on mainstream corporate work for FTSE 100/250, Fortune 500 companies and private equity clients. Working closely with London-based partners.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Working in the Corporate Group, which comprises over 70 fee earning staff across the firm, advising on a broad range of work for major corporate and private equity clients including:
- National and international acquisitions and disposals – assets and shares
- Transaction negotiation/strategy
- Public markets transactions and IPOs/secondary fundraising
- Auction sales
- Due diligence
- Group reorganisations
- Pre-sale planning and preparation
- Project management
- Joint venture, investment, and shareholder agreements
- Transaction Structuring
Key skills and experience
- A proven, demonstrable, track record of advising on corporate transactions and general corporate governance issues
- Post qualification experience undertaken within a corporate team
- Proven experience of running transactions without partner level support
- Experience of advising on all aspects of mergers and acquisitions
- Experience of fundraising and investment structures, including FSMA aspects
- Experience of private equity work would be advantageous but is not essential
- Experience of establishing and maintaining long-term client relationships, preferably with client secondment experience
- Experience of providing assistance to less experienced team members and assisting with training initiatives
- Experience of getting involved or taking responsibility for marketing initiatives including delivering training and briefing notes
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.