PSL Senior / Principal Associate
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
Main Purpose of the Job
To provide professional support to the Real Estate Group (REG).
Please note, we are keen to hear from both permanent and fixed term contract candidates for this opportunity.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities below describe the professional support function currently provided to REG. Gowling WLG is open to hearing from people interested in some or all of these responsibilities as there is some flexibility in the division of responsibilities between the REG PSLs.
Fee earner support
- Dealing with fee earner queries and undertaking research where appropriate
- Ensuring fee earners are kept up to date on new legislation/cases/changes in practice, whether on an individual, team or group wide basis (usually via regular email bulletin and live training sessions)
- Engaging with external PSL groups and other forums
Training and professional development
- Planning the REG training calendar, including organising regular training for junior REG lawyers and liaising with internal and external speakers
- Managing the REG training budget of approximately £100,000
- Organising the trainee induction programme twice a year (including delivering a number of sessions)
- Organising and delivering other training for the group as appropriate
Process efficiency and tools (including precedents)
- Reviewing and updating the group’s precedent bank
- Overseeing the group’s IT support tools such as Searchflow, Landscape and Land Registry Portal
- Managing the relationships with external suppliers and Land Registry
- Participating in and/or advising on trials of new products or initiatives and rolling-out to the group where appropriate
Knowledge / expertise collation and management
- Developing the group’s know-how database
- Keeping the PSL team’s intranet pages up to date
- Liaising with other support teams e.g. Information and Library Services, the Learning & Development team, the General Counsel team, Business Development and other PSLs across the firm and contributing to firm wide knowledge management initiatives
External facing activities
- Drafting Insights/articles on topics which are of interest to clients and providing editorial support to fee earners doing so
- Supporting fee earners with publishing articles in external publications or newsletters for specific clients
- Working closely with other members of the Professional Support team including day to day supervision of the workload of a Professional Support Assistant (e.g. re management of library, journal resources and training admin)
- Any other reasonable duties delegated by any Partner.
- Gowling WLG is committed to exploring opportunities for innovation in terms of process, people and technology and the REG PSLs are expected to engage with such initiatives across the core activities set out above.
Key skills and experience
We are looking for someone who has:
- a good general commercial real estate background, to include experience in commercial landlord and tenant matters
- knowledge of and ability to navigate and use research tools, both electronic and hard copy (some training can be provided)
- excellent attention to detail
- good drafting skills
We would expect applicants to:
- be able to analyse and assimilate large quantities of information in order to distil the relevant issues
- have first rate communication skills – both written and oral
- enjoy helping others
- be approachable and able to engage with people at all levels
- be highly self-motivated, enthusiastic and able to work on their own initiative and collaboratively
- be able to work under pressure and time constraints
- require minimum supervision
- be positive and flexible
- be forward thinking and open to new ideas
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
Apply for PSL Senior / Principal Associate
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly