Business Support Managers Assistant
Working closely with the Business Support Manager for our London office, the role holder will assist with resourcing, structure, and improving procedures and cost-effectiveness. The role holder will also assist (with others) with the day to day management of a team of c40 PAs in this office.
We are looking for an experienced people manager who is able to use their own initiative, have first class organisational skills and be an integral team player. Flexibility, diversity and proactive positivity are key attributes for this role.
This is a developmental junior management role and as such you will have no assigned lawyers, but will be expected to assist in managing the coordination of resource, particularly during peaks and troughs. You will also be expected to assist with other office related tasks / ad-hoc projects.
Osborne Clarke is a leading International Legal Practice looking after a wide range of commercial clients such as Barclays, Facebook, Siemens and Vodafone. We are renowned for our unstuffy and supportive culture, encouraging all our people to make the most of their talent in a fast growing and exciting culture.
We are delighted that our focussed strategy and open culture has also resulted in being joint winners of Roll on Friday Firm of the Year 2018.
- Work closely with, and under the direction of the Business Support Manager, to ensure highly professional, effective and proactive, PA support to Fee Earners and Partners in the London office.
- Support OC's Business Support Managers in the development and effectiveness of PA and admin working practices and efficiencies throughout OC.
- Assist with IT issues, floor moves, people issues, resource etc.
- Build and maintain a broad internal network across OC offices (PAs, FEs, Business Services).
- Work with other Senior PAs and Business Support Managers on best practice and work processes.
- Assist BSM in managing PG teams, support, develop and train or act as mentor to more junior staff.
- Work with the Central team BSM Assistant to overview and resolve issues relating to peaks and troughs in resourcing and workflow.
- Identify training needs
- Coach, mentor and supervise
- Mentor new members of the Senior PA team, plus others that may need additional support and/ or coaching
- For staff that you are mentoring, or where there are issues not yet escalated to the BSM, assist with appraisals, gathering feedback and reviewing performance against objectives
- Provide assistance for team members during sickness / holidays as required.
- Provide assistance with recruitment and induction.
- Deputise for the BSM, attending meetings as required on behalf of the BSM, and be the BSM contact in periods of absence.
- Develop and maintain exemplary positive internal and external PA relationships.
- Develop strong working relationships with staff and key stakeholders in our international offices ensuring open and proactive communications at all times.
- Role model a ‘can-do’, positive work ethic; being decisive, responsible, and taking ownership of issues that arise.
- Role model flexibility and openness to change, and drive change through the team.
- Proactively identify opportunities, actively contribute and be involved with ad-hoc projects as given by the team.
- Challenge, question and provide creative solutions to improve processes and share best practice to ensure greater efficiency across Practice Groups and locations.
- Essential to have experience of managing, organising, delegating to and motivating staff.
- Essential to have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Essential to have excellent time and performance management.
- Essential to be organised and be able to prioritise work.
- Essential to have a pragmatic and objective approach to problem solving, with the ability to multi-task.
- Essential to work with confidentiality, discretion and diplomacy.
- Experience of conflict management and resolution of issues.
- Ability to work under pressure with little supervision.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft word, Excel, Outlook).
- Ability to remain calm and friendly even in a crisis.
- Ability to flexibly manage change.
Osborne Clarke is an inclusive working environment and values diversity in its workforce.