Financial Services (Payments) Senior Associate
"The team is well balanced and well led. Their technical and commercial expertise is complemented by a culture of approachability, openness and business friendly professionalism." – Chambers & Partners
We are looking for a Senior Associate to join our highly regarded Financial Institutions Group, focusing on the area of Payments law. Our dedicated team in this area have consistently been ranked in the top tier by Chambers & Partners in recent times.
You will have access to a broad range of high quality work from the outset and will be encouraged and supported to take responsibility for developing client relationships. The role offers a fantastic opportunity to join an experienced and well respected team that are market-leaders in their areas of expertise.
Our highly profitable FIG practice, part of the Business Transactions Group (BTG), spans 3 core service lines: Investment Funds; Payments and Consumer Finance; and Financial Regulation.
Within the Payments space, OC is a thought leader and stakeholder in payments regulation, providing clients with commercial insight into developments affecting the sector. However we are not solely regulatory lawyers: we advise on all aspects of new product launches, new technology solutions (FinTech), M&A, VC investment into Payment firms, FCA authorisations, and complex structuring analysis. We also regularly support the launch of innovative Payments products, like Wirecard's wearables for Eurovision 2016, VocaLink's new payment system, Zapp, and Faster Payment's Trust Service.
We have continued to build our international expertise and have an unrivalled international network and with it pan-European (and global) Payments insights. For clients, this means we can deliver 'one stop shop' international advice, helping launch numerous payment products/services and carrying out multi-jurisdictional surveys.
We have a fantastic roster of Payments clients, many of which are themselves international, innovative and sizeable. We continue to work with a range of clients, including established financial services firms such as JPMorgan, Vocalink, WEX and Wirecard, and 'disruptor' clients in the FinTech sector such as iZettle, Intuit, and Token as well as those not traditionally involved with payment services (Airbnb and Travelex).
Our FIG team comprises 6 Partners, 3 Associate Directors, 3 Senior Associates, 5 Associates and 2 Trainee Solicitors. The team operates from two offices, in London and Bristol. The team is led by an excellent, innovative group of partners with comments for the team like: Osborne Clarke’s ‘nimble team delivers a personalised service’, Paul Anning is 'a very sensible guy, a very good tactician' and Tim Simmonds is ‘approachable and commercially focused'.
By way of example, recent work by the FIG team includes:
- Advising Niam on its EUR800 million fund (final close January 2016), the largest Nordic opportunistic property fund, OC's largest fund formation to date.
- Advising Illuminate Financial Management on the launch of its first fund, a £35 million fund with a VC FinTech investment focus in the US and Europe.
- Advising Wirecard on its acquisition of Citibank's prepaid card portfolio in North America and merchant acquiring portfolio in Asia.
- Advising iZettle on its acquisition of intelligentpos (a cloud-based point of sale solution for shops, bars and restaurants) and on various product launches in the UK.
- Advising on the sale by Broadstone Group of its wealth management and advisory businesses with £400 million AUM to Thomas Miller.
- Acting for Green Deal Finance Company in bringing to market the UK Government’s cornerstone 'Green Deal finance' initiative (combining the consumer credit and green deal regulatory and statutory frameworks).
- Advising various digital businesses and sharing economy platforms on their UK and European launches and new products, focused around consumer credit, e-money and payments and insurance, including perimeter advice, outsourcings and various FCA authorisations.
Technical skills and experience
You will have knowledge and experience across Payments matters which will have been gained at a firm with a well-respected practice. You will be organised and methodical and able to help coordinate larger projects, both domestic and international. You will be a team player who wants to be a part of a dynamic and successful group.
Due to the nature of the work and the structure of the team, we are looking to a Senior Associate lawyer, although we will consider candidates with more or less experience.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Emily Webb in the Recruitment team on 0117 917 3072 or email@example.com.
Osborne Clarke is an inclusive working environment and values diversity in its workforce.