Finance Systems Analyst (2 year fixed term contract), London
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
This is a 2 year fixed term contract.
The Finance department is responsible for ensuring proper systems are in place for time recording, billing, client accounting, purchase ledger, payroll and cash management so that accurate and reliable information can be produced.
This new role will ensure that the finance and practice management system (PMS) operates in a controlled and efficient manner that meets all current and future business requirements. Working alongside the current Finance Systems Analyst, the role will provide assistance and support to the Systems Accountant in the successful implementation of a new PMS.
This is a key position that will be involved in core aspects of this project including work on data cleansing and preparation for data migration, creation and maintenance of master data and setups, through to testing and support during the data migration process.
Finance Process Analysis
- Liaise with the Finance and Information Services teams and software suppliers to create and maintain relevant system, finance process and user level documentation.
- Assist in the definition and documentation of new finance procedures which can arise from regulatory changes, process review and finance project work.
- Maintain data structures within the finance systems and undertake regular reconciliations, including the identification and resolution of discrepancies.
- Take on the responsibility of providing advice and guidance to finance users on the interpretation of standard procedures.
Finance software testing
- Draft and execute agreed functional and regression testing scripts within project timetable. Document test results and highlight areas for additional testing and review.
- Document software bugs clearly and mange issues raised by users. Liaise with software suppliers and Information Services as required through to resolution.
- Draft test scripts for User Acceptance Testing and liaise with finance team for execution and sign off.
- Maintain record of test environments and configuration to ensure integrity and validity of test results.
- Assist in the documentation of data sources and report definitions for the purposes of creating and maintaining a finance reporting dictionary.
- Assist in managing the change process by analysing and documenting user requirements, drafting specifications and maintaining the status of the change log.
- The role will also provide support to the Systems Accountant in the delivery of ad hoc requests including, but not limited to, financial reporting, practice management system developments and finance systems projects.
Experience and skills:
- Strong team player
- Professional approach to successfully interact with colleagues and external suppliers
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and be proactive in order to meet agreed project deadlines
- A methodical and logical approach, adjusting priorities to meet changing work demands
- Ability to use initiative with a positive and proactive attitude
- Excellent attention to detail
- Drive and enthusiasm
The successful candidate must have 3-5 years of experience working in a professional services environment using a recognised practice management system.
The candidate must also have experience of:
Candidates must be confident in working with and manipulating data. Advanced Excel skills are required including complex formulas. SQL / SSRS / VBA skills would be an advantage.
Having an exposure to the accounting processes as they relate to each area of finance would be a distinct advantage.
- Maintaining documented processes and an ability to communicate technical concepts to non-finance and non-technical users.
- Structured testing in a financial systems environment.
- Writing or specifying financial reports using practice management databases.
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.