Projects Senior Associate
We are looking for a Senior Associate (circa 4PQE+) to join our Projects team in Bristol. From a very well regarded team, you will be involved in a variety of projects; for example offering advice on primary projects and secondary market acquisitions; on assets held within funds including variations, disputes and contract interpretation; and on developing new structures to meet the requirements of the sectors we are working for. You will be given early responsibility for building client relationships and business development whilst working in a collaborative and supportive team environment.
At Osborne Clarke, our Projects team offers clients high-level expertise in procurement structuring, project set-up, finance, execution and exit. We have been at the forefront of developing structures to meet the requirements of the market and have an exciting pipeline of work and opportunities we are developing.
Our offering is broad. The focus of this Bristol based role is predominantly social infrastructure projects (student accommodation, hospitals, care homes, schools and social justice etc) and economic infrastructure projects (street lighting, roads, toll bridges etc.), as well as wider smart cities (including energy efficiency and decentralised energy projects), public sector outsourcing (such as defence and telecoms/broadband) and FM work across various sectors. The projects are often based on PPP/PFI/PF2 or similar, income strip or developer models/guidance/documents. There may well be opportunities to work with colleagues on energy and renewables projects (solar, AD, on and off-shore wind), but this is not the main focus of the role.
With the increase in pension funds investing in infrastructure projects and the new rules on insurance company investment, we have been working with clients to devise innovative structures to drive their investments. We are also carving out a name for ourselves in various sectors, notably student accommodation and social justice, in addition to our well-known energy and renewables expertise, and we are working on a number of high profile projects in these areas and in many others.
"They are a tightly knit unit. Their pragmatic advice is very good and it is also timely." – Chambers UK, 2015
The Projects team is split between Bristol and London with 9 Partners; 1 Legal Director; 4 Associate Directors; 6 Senior Associates; 7 Associates and 3 Trainees. You will have the opportunity to work directly with a number of Partners in the team, reporting primarily to Chris Wade and Simon Hancock.
"I joined the Osborne Clarke Projects team in August 2015. I was attracted to the quality, level and variety of work a team with a national (and international) reputation brings and I haven't been disappointed. I have been involved in a broad range of work in the short time I have been with the firm, as well as a number of business development initiatives and training opportunities. The team is open, friendly and supportive, a perfect example of the collegiate atmosphere Osborne Clarke is known for. Junior lawyers are able to access an assortment of training options to increase technical knowledge as well as the softer skills needed to be a great lawyer. The Partners in the Projects team are very supportive of their junior lawyers' career development and the firm has a comprehensive framework to allow you to be successful at your own pace."
– Amy Dimond – Senior Associate, Projects
- We are advising consortia on a further three student accommodation DBFO projects.
- We are advising the preferred bidders on the separate Durham and Leicester University student accommodation DBFO projects.
- We advised Balfour Beatty Investments on the Sussex University student accommodation DBFO project (closed April 2017).
- We advised DIF on its simultaneous acquisition (from SSE plc) and refinancing of three street lighting PFI projects (closed March 2017).
- We are advising an infrastructure fund on two of its grouped schools PFI projects, including on value for money/PF2 efficiency savings variations, academy conversions, re-developments and health and safety issues.
- We are advising an infrastructure fund on an innovative Government-led refinancing.
- We are advising sponsors on distressed projects and defects claims across multiple sectors.
- An illustration of our market leading position in energy efficiency projects for the NHS, we advised Imtech Low Carbon Solutions on the Sheffield Children's Hospital energy efficiency project, procured by the Carbon and Energy Fund.
Technical skills and experience
You will have knowledge and experience of (public sector) infrastructure projects, which will have been gained at a well-respected firm in this field. (Experience of PPP/PFI/PF2 projects would be positively received.) As a guide, due to the nature of the work and the structure of the team, we are ideally looking to appoint someone with around 4 years PQE with a passion for this area, although we will consider those with a little more experience.
Your career development
Like all our lawyers, you will benefit from our multi-award winning career development programme. At each stage of your career this provides you with:
- clear expectations of your role and what it takes to progress;
- high quality clients and work, with early responsibility and client exposure;
- thorough assessment and individual feedback from a range of experienced colleagues;
- robust technical training with early skills based development, increasingly tailored to you; and
- reward for your contribution, progression and potential, rather than PQE or tenure.
Salary and benefits
We offer competitive salaries and generous benefits.
For more information or to apply
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Geoff Mead or Emma Watts in the Recruitment team on 0117 917 3322.
Osborne Clarke is an inclusive working environment and values diversity in its workforce.