Paralegal Team Manager
Are you a qualified lawyer or paralegal manager looking for your next career move?
About the role
The Legal Service Unit is a group of paralegals supporting CMS nationally.
The focus of this role is managing delivery of the work and will include: • Liaising with the instructing fee earner to scope the task and agree the budget and timing for completion;
• Allocating the work to the appropriate paralegal/s;
• Monitoring progress and overseeing all aspects of the work to ensure the work is delivered on time and is of the highest quality; and
• Driving and developing service quality and implementing service levels.
• Team leadership and management – including assisting the LSU Director with all HR matters such as recruitment, career structure, reward, L&D and performance management for the team;
• Ultimate responsibility for the overall quality and delivery of work to the LSU’s customers – and dealing with any issues or concerns;
• Assisting with the development and implementation of the LSU strategy in line with the firm’s objectives and agreed business plan;
• Overview of capacity and supply of LSU resource in Glasgow/Edinburgh to manage and balance workload, including specifying and agreeing work with partners and lawyers;
• Ensuring utilisation of the team achieves or exceeds agreed targets;
• Promoting the services that the LSU can provide across the business and to clients, including, where required, taking an active part in pitches and tenders and development of bespoke workstreams using LSU resource to provide solutions to clients;
• Assisting the LSU director with budgeting, resource planning and forecasting and management of utilisation and finances generally;
• Assisting the LSU Director with building, updating and delivering the LSU business plan as part of the firm’s annual budgeting and planning cycle.
Well respected qualified solicitor (PQ3+) (would be an advantage to be dual qualified (Scotland and England & Wales) but not essential) or a highly experienced manager with well -developed management skills gained within a professional services environment and qualified to a degree level or equivalent;
• Experience of (i) managing and developing a team and (ii) implementing and improving processes including service levels would be beneficial;
• Excellent attention to detail, a customer service mindset and should be a completer-finisher;
• Good understanding of all practice areas and core activities and has credibility with staff at all levels;
• Ability to work highly effectively under pressure and experience of managing challenging and demanding situations;
• Ability to produce flexible solutions to meet the needs of clients and lawyers within the firm;
• Ability to communicate and promote the services of the LSU clearly and enthusiastically;
• Ability to enthuse and encourage the use of the LSU to clients, partners and staff;
• Ability to work with practice area leaders, partners and others (i.e. in Finance) to identify appropriate potential work for the LSU;
• Provide support and guidance to the team supervisors and team members more widely.
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, Middle East and beyond.
On the 1st May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang are combining to create a truly modern, ambitious, sector driven and technology focused firm for the future. Together we will be the 6th largest UK law firm (by UK revenue) and the 6th largest law firm globally (by headcount) with outstanding global reach: serving 39 countries across 70 offices.
The new firm will be headquartered in the City of London with UK offices in Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Reading and Sheffield.
All 3 firms have very similar values running through them which will ring true after the combination. We work hard to be a truly client-focused law firm. That means not just understanding the unique challenges of every market sector, but also providing a service that’s tailored to the needs of each client. Our partners are hands-on and work hard to get closer to clients with everything from joint training initiatives and advice surgeries to visits and social events. What’s more, our teams have the ideal balance of personality and industry expertise to suit the varied needs of our clients.
We welcome and promote diversity among our staff and we are committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment practice.
If you are interested please apply online or contact Natalie Koenig Senior Recruitment Officer, for more information.