Associate / Senior Associate, Real Estate Planning
We are currently looking to recruit a bright and ambitious planning senior associate to join our team in Birmingham.
The role will focus on advising our impressive client base on a range of planning issues, from development planning and compulsory purchase to the promotion of development consent orders.
Our impressive client base includes HS2, Highways England, Argent, Mace and many more and we are working on some of the largest development and infrastructure projects in the UK. We also have a vibrant international practice and are currently advising on projects in Asia and the Middle East.
The role will be based in our Birmingham office, but the candidate will be part of a One UK Team and will also be required to travel to our other offices from time to time.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Candidates will have a broad diet of work, that will include, but not be limited to:
- managing the promotion of nationally significant infrastructure projects, compulsory purchase orders and other related orders;
- the drafting and negotiating of complex planning obligations;
- advising on environmental impact and appropriate assessments;
- giving strategic planning advice;
- supporting our own advocates and counsel at inquiries and in legal proceedings;
- opportunities to undertake advocacy should you wish;
- implementing compulsory purchase powers and advising on compensation;
- drafting articles and briefings;
- active participation in business development; and
- growing relationships with clients and targets
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- We do not set upper or lower limits of PQE for any of our vacancies. We have however given an indicative PQE as an approximate guide for applicants. Candidates who have between 5 and 9 years PQE in planning are likely to have the right level of knowledge and have gained the right level of experience needed to be able to undertake this role
- Candidates should have experience of promoting nationally significant infrastructure projects and/or compulsory purchase orders
- Commercially astute and stays current on key legal and business news
- Excellent skills in communication, client relations, and team-working
- Provides a professional, quality service in a timely manner, and responds effectively to requests from internal and external clients
- Understands positive client support
- Creates confidence in the team and the firm
- Works co-operatively in a team, sharing information and knowledge
- Manages time effectively and efficiently
- Seeks to manage own utilisation wherever possible in order to meet individual and team targets
- Takes ownership for achieving agreed objectives
- Recognises and seizes opportunities for the firm, including repeat business
- Builds and develops own network of internal and external contacts
- Awareness of business development initiatives in the department and identifies ways to contribute
- Maintains a controlled, objective and flexible approach under pressure
- Exhibits behaviour consistent with the firm's values and builds relationships based on respect, trust and integrity
This job description is not designed to be exhaustive and can be varied as required to develop or fulfil this role.
The firm offers excellent training, learning and development programmes, as well as a genuine opportunity to experience a wide range of work and clients in a friendly, supportive environment.
DLA Piper is a global law firm with lawyers located in more than 40 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific. Our global reach ensures that we can help businesses with their legal needs anywhere in the world. We strive to be the leading global business law firm by delivering quality, service excellence and value to our clients and offering practical and innovative legal solutions to help them succeed. Our clients range from multinational, Global 1000, and Fortune 500 enterprises to emerging companies developing industry-leading technologies, as well as government and public sector bodies.
In everything we do connected with our People, our Clients and our Communities, we live by these values:
- Be Supportive - we care about others, value diversity and act thoughtfully
- Be Collaborative - we give, we share and we join in
- Be Bold - we stand tall and challenge ourselves to think big
- Be Exceptional - we exceed standards and expectations
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At DLA Piper we are working hard to ensure that our talent pool is diverse. For us, diversity isn't just about visible differences, it's the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual.
We know it's crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued and that's why we strive to be a business where everyone can thrive, develop and succeed based on their talent. Our aim is to build an inclusive and supportive culture where all our people feel they belong and can achieve their best.
We recognise that people have responsibilities and interests outside of their career and that as a business, we all benefit from working flexibly. That's why we are open to discussing with candidates the different ways in which we are able to support requests for agile working arrangements.
In the event that we make an offer to you, and where local legislation permits, we may conduct pre-engagement screening checks that may include but are not limited to your professional and academic qualifications, your eligibility to work in the relevant jurisdiction, any criminal records, your financial stability and references from previous employers.