About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
Main Purpose of the Job
To act as the key procurement contact for the firm's key strategic contracts, supporting the functional owners with the strategic direction, cost and performance of these contracts.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide advice and support to the Head of Procurement, Business Services Directors, Fee Earners and other managers responsible for the performance of the supply chain on current and evolving procurement, supplier and contract management matters for the key suppliers to the firm, including but not limited to: category strategy and management; quality, price analysis, evaluation and monitoring; sourcing strategy, intelligence; innovation, suppliers offers; and how to document service requirements to maximise value for money.
- To support, and where appropriate lead, the development of contract management and supplier relationship management
- To support the Head of Procurement in ensuring that Gowling WLG procurement function operates according to good industry practice and works efficiently to support the agreed category strategies.
- To provide a high quality of service to internal stakeholders and work with suppliers to ensure the firm gains best value from its supplier relationships.
- To deal with complex procurement matters for these key suppliers ensuring that appropriate analysis is undertaken to deliver relevant and innovative solutions taking account of good industry practice and operational requirements.
- To interpret the firm's policies, strategies, business plans and programmes and implement measures so that procurement services are developed cost effectively to support the firm for this category.
- To perform a key role in the development, maintenance and firm wide implementation of sourcing and procurement strategies for these key suppliers. To provide routine oversight and direction of all procurement activity under this category, including ensuring the timely delivery of procurement aspects of projects, within budget and take the lead in managing the competitive process for the firm's programmes in line with procurement good practice methodologies and processes.
- To identify opportunities for these key suppliers for procurement and contract management efficiencies for the firm's benefit and propose solutions to relevant stakeholders to implement.
- Assist in the development, implementation and maintenance of an effective supplier relationship and management strategy and lead (or support functional managers in undertaking) commercial relationship management pre and post contract award and the maintenance of effective partnership relationships with key strategic suppliers.
- Support the development, implementation and maintenance of a Client contract management strategy, bringing expertise from SRM into internal contract management framework.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal departments and stakeholders
Key skills and experience
- Very strong and proven negotiating skills within a commercial environment for indirect services category and a good understanding of commercial priorities and realities.
- A good understanding and proven experience of driving a SRM approach with key suppliers
- Strong commercial awareness with demonstrable evidence of substantial cost saving achievements
- Excellent understanding of category management and how it can be applied to achieve cost and efficiency savings.
- Excellent awareness and understanding of contract terms and drafting processes.
- A good understanding of outsourcing specifically as a sourcing strategy, and how to effectively contract and manage key services from outsource suppliers.
- A good understanding of delivering projects
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to
Apply for Contract Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly