The Bids Manager is responsible for managing bids activity in a nominated sector(s). They play a key role in helping to achieve our growth plans by managing the bids pipeline, provide guidance on win strategy, produce bids documents and coach presentation teams. They also play a key role in the continuous improvement of our bids process.
• Manage bids in a nominated sector(s) by:
- Probing and challenging the bids invitation, working with the Sector Teams and partners to assess and anticipate client needs, providing practical guidance on how the bids will be scored and what further information we need to discover
- Working with PG&R to identify possible risks to the business/comply with internal risk management and conflict checking procedures
- Using project management techniques to ensure a well-planned, organised and controlled process, driving the bids forward making things happen through personal commitment
- Forming a view on a solid commercial basis as to the win strategy for each bids and articulating to the team in a convincing way
- Managing bids strategy meetings confidently, inspiring enthusiasm and support for the bids
- Working with lawyers, finance and any other experts to formulate models for an attractive and profitable offer that meets the prospect's needs and backs up our agreed strategy for the bids
- Creating a comprehensive first draft document that sets out the agreed strategy and offer clearly
- Ensuring the bids document is compelling, well-written, attractive and accurate
- Coaching and guiding lawyers on effective presentation techniques, both through ad hoc workshops and specific pitch rehearsals as part of the bids process, delivering feedback on performance
- Ensuring client debriefs are undertaken on all bids, either personally or through our Client Listening Team, and that all messages are fed back to relevant parties
- Working with the Content Team and Bids Executive to ensure that all sector material is effective and up to date
- Demonstrating effective compliance with the firm's bids process
- Working with Sector Teams, Client Listening Team and Client Programme Team to manage the bids pipeline, maximising the chances of success when the bids invitation arrives
• Understand and investigate external models for bids best practice, putting forward proposals to better our internal processes and managing projects to deliver improvements
• Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols
• Have significant in-depth experience of managing bids, ideally within professional services environment
• Show strong strategic and commercial awareness, coupled with industry and competitor knowledge, enabling them to develop winning strategies, viable/profitable offers and creative pricing ideas
• Understand sales theory and best practice, and have experience of applying that to successfully defend/win clients
• Understand project management techniques and be able to create and manage complex project plans, with the determination and pace to make things happen
• Have strong writing, proofreading and editing skills and the ability to adapt style to different audiences and channels
• Have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of pitch presentation skills and best practice and experience of successfully coaching and guiding others
• Possess high levels of credibility with the ability to influence, challenge and coach senior stakeholders
• Be degree educated or equivalent
• Have high levels of numeracy and analysis (also able to manipulate spreadsheets)
• Have a thirst for technical knowledge and application of knowledge to generate ideas
About the firm
We are a leading international legal business with over 2,400 colleagues and a diverse range of capabilities. We have 11 offices in the UK as well as offices in Dublin, Madrid, Singapore, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Miami. We also have associations/alliances with firms in Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Brazil, Peru, Central America, Argentina, the USA, Australia and Germany.
We are known for our market-leading presence in sectors such as Insurance, Health and Real Estate. This is complemented by a fast-growing Business Advisory capability. We represent a wide range of clients, ranging from household names to government departments and NHS bodies. We act for the majority of the top 30 insurance and financial services companies operating in the UK. We are the asset management lawyers for the UK’s largest shopping centres and act for 9 of the UK’s top 10 housebuilders.
We have an impressive legal pedigree, with 155 Chambers UK 2019 practice area and individual lawyer rankings, including 30 rankings at 'Band 1' level. In March 2018, we were named as one of Legal Week's Best Legal Advisors for the third year running, achieving category-leading satisfaction scores for our commercial approach, service delivery, quality of legal advice, communication & responsiveness and overall relationships.
Our vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for our insight and our outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. For further details on our work and our culture, please visit www.dacbeachcroft.com.
DAC Beachcroft is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. We also welcome direct applications. If this opportunity sounds of interest to you, please make an application and submit your CV. Your application will be dealt with in the strictest of confidence.