Tech Sector Business Development Manager
About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
Main Purpose of the Job
- Work with the leadership team of the Tech sector and related legal practice areas to agree and implement BD strategies that deliver sustainable, profitable growth.
- Be the account manager within the wider BD team to ensure clear decision making, excellent coordination and high levels of delivery.
- Work alongside BD department colleagues to ensure that available resources are managed effectively to achieve the stated strategic objectives.
Please note this role can be based in our Birmingham or London office.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Tech sector and related legal team leaders on strategic business planning and budgeting;
- Lead on client strategy including client focused growth, relationship management, client listening/feedback and new sales/targeting;
- Work with partners and other stakeholders to devise and execute new products and services;
- Monitor and drive financial performance of sectors and clients and track revenue source;
- Act as a central knowledge resource for, and advocate of, the firm’s strategy and vision;
- Work with the strategic bids team on major Tech sector focused bids to bring sector knowledge to bear;
- Work with the corporate communications and digital teams to create consistent content and messages for the Tech sector and related legal teams to raise of the profile of the Tech sector in the marketplace;
- Identify and track cross-selling opportunities for other sectors and legal teams;
- Monitor client and market developments (including new entrants to the markets in which we operate) and deliver relevant and focused advice and communications to the Tech sector and associated legal teams;
- Ensure that market and competitor analysis is maintained, leveraging internal and external resources.
Key skills and experience
- Demonstrable team player and advocate of the firm's values.
- Experience of successfully dealing with and influencing senior people, particularly partners;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Successful track record in business development within a professional services environment;
- Experience of Tech sector business development within professional services essential;
- Ability to think strategically and put plans into action;
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to go the extra mile;
- Ability to deal directly with clients and client representatives;
- Commercial awareness and understanding of the clients' world;
- Excellent organisational and project management skills;
- Ability to prioritise and manage demanding deadlines.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.
Apply for Tech Sector Business Development Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly