Professional Support Lawyer - Banking
To manage and execute legal content projects with a focus on development and automation of standard form precedents as directed by the Knowledge Management Partner ("KM Partner") and in consultation with the Global Director of Knowledge Management ("KM Director") with the aim of increasing the quality, consistency and/or cost-effectiveness of the advice that the Firm gives to its clients.
Standard Form Precedents
Leading the work on:
- automation; and
- maintenance of the Department's standard form precedents.
Other Legal Content Projects
Whilst development and automation of standard form precedents will be the key area of focus for this position [at least in the first year of employment], other responsibilities may also include:
- Researching, monitoring, analyzing and informing the Department of legal and industry developments and trends, articulating how they will affect the Department's practice and its clients.
- Drafting and coordinating current awareness updates, client alerts and other publications.
- Contributing to the Department's KM pages on the Firm's intranet and other know-how repositories, ensuring they are in line with Firm standards, structured in an accessible way and kept up to date.
- Answering queries from fee earners.
- Assisting with training.
- Participating in London and Firm-wide KM community initiatives.
Banking is a team within the firm's broader Banking & Finance Practice which comprises approx. 40 lawyers specialising in 15 distinct practice areas that best match the requirements of our global client base.
We are able to advise financial institutions and other lenders, sponsors, borrowers and other corporate entities on all aspects of financing transactions – from origination, negotiation and documentation to closing. We also advise clients on enforcement situations, workouts and reorganisations and the full breadth of structured and capital markets offerings. As a firm, we are noted for our expertise in corporate lending, leveraged finance, infrastructure finance, real estate finance, project finance, funds finance, trade finance, asset-based lending (but not leasing), and R&I, especially advising on bespoke complex transactions and those involving emerging markets.
The London team are an integrated part of the Firm's Global Finance group of over 500 lawyers who cover the world's key financial money centres, many of whom are regularly featured in the top tier of rankings in both Legal 500 and Chambers for Banking and Finance.
Key Skills and Experience Required
- Significant post qualification experience as a banking and finance lawyer
- First class drafting and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of substantive law.
- Experience developing, delivering and coordinating training.
- Experience and understanding of KM strategy and implementation.
- High degree of competence in Microsoft Word and other software products (e.g., Powerpoint & Excel, document management systems and databases) is desirable.
Work and Approach
- Consistently produces work of an outstanding quality.
- Effectively prioritizes and manages own time.
- Highly developed organizational ability, sound judgment and attention to detail.
- Is self-initiating and takes a pro-active approach towards projects; seeks direction and advice as needed but is also prepared to take ownership and progress tasks independently.
- Willingness to travel to key meetings of the Group.
- Able to work under pressure and remain focused.
- Leverages available resources.
- Interested in the law, KM and the use of technology in effective knowledge sharing.
- Responds promptly to requests for work product, expertise, training materials and other information.
- Able to communicate (written and verbal) effectively and clearly in a multi-cultural environment.
- Builds credibility and strong relationships with stakeholders.
- Works well in a team setting.
- Works effectively within a large, matrix organizational structure with multiple reporting lines to accomplish organizational goals.
- Contributes to discussion and accepts the consensus.
- Understands and promotes connections between other practice/industry groups locally and globally, BD, Global Information Services, Global Services Belfast, Global Services Manila, library services, Talent Management and other departments.
Diversity & Inclusion
- Respects and enjoys the diversity of cultural, social and academic backgrounds found in the Firm.
Why Join Us?
Baker McKenzie is a truly global law firm. Founded in 1949, we advise many of the world’s most dynamic and successful business organisations through our 13,000 people in 77 offices across 47 countries. Yet big does not mean impersonal. We work hard to ensure that everyone knows their role and has the support they need to perform it to the highest standard. Our culture encourages this - how we work, think and behave in a collaborative and fulfilling way.
In London you will be part of an 800 person office, which is also our largest office globally. Originally opened in 1961, Baker McKenzie London is well established in the UK as a leading international law firm and is regularly involved in some of the country's most high-profile legal matters. We can offer you the work, pride and experience of being part of a leading law firm but in a local office environment that is hardworking, yet friendly and supportive.
The strength of the firm and our culture is evidenced by a number of recent awards, including:
- Acritas’ Sharplegal Global Elite Brand Index, 2016 - ranked 1st/Brand Index: 100
- The Sunday Times’ Best Companies to Work For 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17: currently ranked 66th
- The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers 2016: currently ranked 57th
- Stonewall Workplace Equality Index 2017: currently ranked 7th
- Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards 2016: Five awards: Most Innovative International Firm for Women, Best International Firm for pro bono work, Best in tax, Best in Employment and Overall Outstanding Female Practitioner Award
At Baker McKenzie we welcome direct applications.
Please click on the Apply icon to start the online application process for this role. We will then be in touch with you once we have reviewed your application. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the Recruitment Team on either 020 7919 1000 or Recruitment.London@bakermckenzie.com
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Please note Baker McKenzie does not accept unsolicited CVs. Please click here for details of our Agency Policy and commitment to sourcing directly.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Baker McKenzie has a culture of diversity and inclusion in its DNA – since our beginning, the differences of our people have helped us to work fluently across borders, cultures and practices. This is intrinsic to everything we do and underpins Baker McKenzie's vision to be the global law firm of choice. We understand that organisations work best when people with different backgrounds and points of view are brought together. We also know people perform at their best when they can be themselves at work. Baker McKenzie is committed to serving our clients with innovative solutions brought about by a diverse talent pool and an inclusive community.
The London office mirrors the wider firm in encouraging the best people, regardless of race, culture, religion or belief (if any), gender, gender identity and expression, disability, sexual orientation or age, to fulfil their professional aspirations with us so as to create an exciting and diverse legal environment.