Business Development Executive, Funds (including CLOs) and Private Equity Industy
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
In order to comply with regulatory and client requirements, Ashurst will undertake appropriate vetting of staff. When applicants accept a job offer, Ashurst, alongside a specialist provider, will undertake professional verification and background checks. These checks are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with our legal and regulatory obligations
Business Area – Business Development
Role: BD Executive, Funds (including CLOs) and Private Equity Industry
Reporting to: BD Manager (Funds and Private Equity)
Hours of work - Monday to Friday, 9:30 - 17:30, however you will be required to work such hours as are necessary to carry out your duties.
Department/ Role Overview:
To work alongside the Co-Heads of the Funds and Private Equity Industries in the management of the industry client portfolio and global BD activities. The primary goal is to drive revenue growth within this industry (in which Ashurst is market leader) from existing and new client opportunities. There is a portfolio of some 35 priority clients although as clients in this industry are opportunistic in approach it is essential that we are proactive in driving revenue and new business through all clients and prospects.
It is essential that the candidate has a) industry expertise and knowledge across the alternative asset classes and b) significant client relationship management and BD experience, particularly liaising with multiple stakeholders across a mix of different practice areas and offices.
Global Funds and Private Equity industry oversight and support:
- Working alongside the Co-Heads of the Funds and Private Equity Industry, to be responsible (CRM Lead) for the delivery of the client plans, managing client team meetings across global offices and achieving the industry revenue and priority client revenue targets for the industries and priority clients
- Monitoring intel and looking into new opportunities for CRPs and partners to reach out to priority clients and prospect targets
- Responsible for the setting, monitoring and delivery of the global strategic industry plans, client budgets, financial reporting including client account plan financial reports
- Co-ordinating the Industry Strategy and Development Panel Meetings in Europe and APAC to progress the delivery of the Funds and Private Equity industry plan
- Support key conference sponsorships and organise all BD activities around these key cross-selling, high profile events
- Cross-sell our Funds and Private Equity industry expertise internally across the Ashurst network and to work with the Co-Heads and Clients Relationship Partners to cross-sell our Funds and Private Equity industry expertise to existing and prospective clients
- Provide broad sector oversight, including the identification of new trends, spotting new opportunities and engaging our client teams around these to win business.
- Deliver global panel pitches, or strategically important pitches, to the highest of standards and to deadline for the clients within their portfolio
- Work with the client team on beauty parade rehearsals, working collaboratively with the team on tactics and strategy
- Provide client related input, as required, on transactional pitches across the Ashurst network
- Ensuring the capture of pitch metrics and that we understand, and report on, our pitch win/loss ratio and reasons for success or otherwise across their total sector and industry grouping
- For the clients they manage, ensuring that post matter debriefs are completed for relevant pitches as identified by the Client Relationship Partner
Client Relationship Management
- Responsible for the management of 35 of the firms leading Funds and Private Equity priority clients
- Proactively track client and industry news and trends using available resources (which include the FT, Preqin, Mergermarket, and Marketline) to spot revenue generation opportunities and driving these opportunities to their ultimate conclusion
- Analysing existing client relationships and, using gap analysis, identify and drive cross selling opportunities
- For their client portfolio, be responsible for ensuring the compilation, implementation and delivery of global client account plans
- Additionally, be responsible for the setting and monitoring of individual client budgets within this portfolio.
- Be responsible for the provision and management of a dedicated client listening programme within the Funds and Private Equity Industry portfolio - reporting back to the Industry Co-Heads and BD Director on results, trends arising and personally taking ownership of actions arising from the feedback programme
- As applicable, working closely with the relevant Expertise Lawyers and other support functions such as Finance, Compliance etc to support the Funds industry clients
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Significant front line business development and CRM (or other relevant) experience in the financial services and/or Funds and Private Equity area - ideally, having run or been a part of global client relationship management programmes for clients, preferably in a law firm or professional services environment. Candidates, with relevant industry experience, looking to transition from a legal practice role to a business development role would also be considered.
- Good University degree
- Good people management skills, particularly experience in engaging with partners and senior management as well as developing and nurturing junior team members
- Experience of managing large panel pitches and significant tenders
- Knowledge and experience of managing budgets
- Self-motivated and proactive with the ability to drive forward the agreed industry strategy
- Experience in undertaking client feedback reviews will be beneficial but not essential
Our Culture is shaped by our core values of Collaboration, Excellence, Innovation, Integrity and Accountability. They guide how we relate with each other, our clients, our behaviour