Trainee Legal Secretary (Manchester) 12 month FTC
About Eversheds Sutherland:
Our Company Commercial group handles major projects for some of the largest clients in the world, both listed and private. We enable our lawyers to stretch their skills and gain experience few other law firms can offer. Our group includes a wide variety of experts, from deal-makers and banking experts through to contract drafters and IP specialists.
With the resources of an international firm and an award-winning, innovative approach, all of our people are able to offer carefully managed, progressive business solutions that modern day organisations require.
Our Company Commercial team is a leading practice which advises on some of the largest and most high profiles deals in the region. Thanks to our resources, we are able to adopt a much more multidisciplinary approach to the way that we do business, delivering efficiency and results. Our lawyers are also supported by experienced, sector-focused experts to provide an unrivalled and seamless international offering.
The Trainee Legal Secretary will assist a team of designated legal advisers with the support and mentoring of the legal secretarial team.
This role description covers the main tasks typically required of our trainee legal secretaries, however this may vary depending on the exact requirements of the legal advisers you support.
• Taking responsibility for typing and amending documentation/correspondence in line with the firm’s house-styles (digital dictation, manuscript and copy typing), together with the collation of enclosures
• Pro-active and appropriate use of firm’s in-house Document Production teams
• Assisting legal advisers to open new matters, following the firm’s procedures
• Proactively manage file closure/archiving/scheduling
• Assisting legal advisers with electronic filing in line with Eversheds guidelines
• Managing document printing (engrossment, general printing and photocopying), collation, production and copying of court bundles, ensuring the appropriate resources are used where possible
• Deal with incoming telephone calls in a professional and efficient manner, take and pass on clear messages and assist in answering any non-legal queries
• Learning how to use the travel and diary systems in a comprehensive manner
• General administration (including room bookings, expenses, responding to central and Practice Group initiatives/requests)
• Preparation and submission of legal advisers’ expense claims; securing receipts and information following client meetings.
• Attending regular catch-ups with your STL and secretarial mentor
Skills and experience:
The successful candidate should be someone who wants to be trained as a legal secretary.
A minimum of 50 wpm typing speed for copy and audio, RSA II in typing (or equivalent), audio typing or word processing and MS Office skills are essential.
• Supports all firm-wide initiatives
• Seeks to provide outstanding levels of client service at all times. Projects a positive and professional image of the firm to clients
• Seeks opportunities to grow and share knowledge and learn about wider business activity
• Injects energy and enthusiasm into the team
• Uses initiative and anticipates what is needed and takes appropriate action. Demonstrates confidence in own ability
• Focuses on solutions, not problems
• Has a good understanding of basic computer packages and is building on this knowledge weekly by attending appropriate training courses.