CDR Associate (Leeds)
About Eversheds Sutherland:
We are passionate about helping our clients secure the best outcome in their business dealings, securing compensation for breaches of contractual or tortious duties or defending commercial claims. We work alongside our clients through the toughest of times, protecting their interests at every stage of a dispute. Eversheds’ Litigation and Dispute Management team is called in to handle threats and disputes of the highest strategic importance.
Our litigation team has over 70 partners in the UK and over 60 partners in Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Africa. The recent combination with the United States creates significant new business opportunities to secure top quality contentious work for international clients. With 650 lawyers around the globe we mobilise cross-office teams on a regular basis.
Recognised by The Lawyer magazine as part of the “Litigation Elite”, Eversheds’ team of experts acts for global clients based across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa. Our people regularly provide input into a wide range of large-scale matters involving multiple jurisdictions for multi-nationals, complex litigation cases involving technical stretch as well as general commercial disputes which can be managed on a day to day basis by junior lawyers.
If you would like to be part of a truly international, results oriented practice, working on some of the most prominent examples of Court proceedings, strategic advice, crisis management, or public and private investigations – then the Commercial Dispute Resolution team at Eversheds Sutherland is the team for you.
Eversheds’ Commercial Dispute Resolution lawyers are renowned for handling high-value, complex, cross-border disputes and litigation across a wide range of sectors, including technology, telecoms, energy, specialist manufacturing and consumer. A growing team of dynamic and forward-thinking lawyers, we are focused on combining legal expertise and commercial problem-solving to provide major clients with the guidance they need. Within the Leeds team, we have partners who specialise in product liability, technology and telecoms disputes, public procurement, regulated energy and project-related proceedings and international arbitration, as well as undertaking a broad range of more general dispute work (warranty and misrepresentation claims, defamation and supply chain, shareholder and partnership disputes) for major corporates and public sector bodies.
We are now looking to add an experienced lawyer to our Commercial Dispute Resolution team in Leeds. The recruitment need arises due to the success of the team in securing major instructions from household names, both in the Yorkshire region and beyond. The successful candidate would join a dynamic, growing team of ambitious lawyers operating in a professional, collegiate environment. They would have immediate exposure to challenging, high quality work and the opportunity to develop their skills further, learning from direct experience but supported by partners and senior lawyers. The success of the team creates real opportunities for merit-based promotion.
• Provide strategic and commercial legal advice on litigation cases, supporting the Partners and wider CDR team.
• Support and offer guidance to junior lawyers in the team.
• As an integral part of the team, you will handle some of your own matters under supervision.
• Be pro-active and willing to get involved in business development and contribute to the strategic direction of the team.
• This varied role offers a wide range of high quality commercial dispute resolution work, including exposure to clients in diverse sectors.
• You will have access to sector specialists and be expected to work with these contacts across the firm to help develop growth areas for the team.
• You will work on high profile, high value and complex litigation.
Skills and experience:
• We are looking for a lawyer of 2-4 years’ PQE working within a high performing dispute resolution team on complex issues. A band of PQE as advertised on a role does not preclude applications from those candidates that may have more or less PQE. Our intention is only to indicate a guideline as to how long we would expect a qualified lawyer to have practised so as to have gained the necessary skills for the role as described.
• Strong technical skills, commercial acumen and excellent academic qualifications, with a degree classification of 2:1 or higher.
• Ability to analyse complex factual situations and distil the key issues clearly and concisely and persuade others through logical reasoning. You will provide a first rate client service both internally and externally.
• Evidence of exposure to clients/counsel/experts is desirable.
• Exposure to business development activities and a good understanding of how to win work would be desirable.
• To be successful, you must be able to operate at a fast pace in a vibrant open plan environment. You will use your strong communication skills to build effective relationships with existing and new clients, introducing clients to other teams or practice groups
• ‘Can do’ attitude and prepared to go the extra mile to ensure we are able to meet our clients’ needs.
We're a modern, progressive law firm. We’re driven by new ideas; we’re excited by new approaches; and we’re also refreshingly down-to-earth. We think differently and we've built a culture where individual skills and personalities can shine through.
At Eversheds Sutherland, we believe that innovation comes from a culture of genuine equality and diversity and we are happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments individuals may require in the recruitment process, or once in post.
We’re committed to ensuring that you have the chance to maximise your potential. We offer a comprehensive programme of specialised technical training, skills-based modules, management development programmes, courses and conferences.
Eversheds Sutherland endeavours to recruit and fill vacancies directly. However, when we do need to engage with agencies, Eversheds operates within a preferred supplier list.
As an inclusive employer we want to see every candidate performing at their best so we use ClearTalents™ to discover how we might improve your application experience.