Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law. To find out more please visit here
Our Sydney based Corporate Transactions team is growing and looking for a mid-level corporate lawyer with experience in public/private M&A, private equity, or ECM. Our team works as a National practice so you will work with a range of our Corporate partners and Senior Associates, both in Sydney and interstate, giving you access to the full breadth of corporate transactions that Ashurst manages.
The Ashurst client base spans mid-cap entities through to blue chips, as well as local and global investment funds and financial sponsors. The work will include mainstream corporate transactions such as takeovers, business and asset acquisitions and disposals, equity capital markets work, restructuring and recapitalisation transactions, joint venture arrangements, ASX listing rule work and corporate governance.
Ashurst combines the benefits of a leading corporate practice with a supportive and collegiate environment. The firm is looking to make a long term investment in a strong lawyer who is similarly looking to make a long term career commitment to our corporate practice. Ashurst has a proven track record in developing lawyers and the vacancy represents an outstanding opportunity for a team-player with strong technical skills and an impressive commercial approach.
Recent matters include:
- ANZ's A$8.2bn sale of the Esanda dealer finance portfolio to Macquarie.
- Advance Energy's (a Consortium consisting of subsidiaries from MIRA, AMP Capital, British Columbia Investment Management Corporation and Qatar Investment Authority) A$7.634bn acquisition of 50.4% of NSW state-owned Endeavour Energy's core network.
- Downer EDI's A$1.26bn takeover bid and associated A$1.011bn entitlement offer for Spotless
- Novion Property Group's A$11bn merger with Federation Centres by way of inter-conditional company and trust scheme.
- HNA Aviation Group's strategic commercial alliance with Virgin Australia involving the acquisition of 15% of the securities in Virgin.
- Nippon Life Insurance's acquisition of 80% of MLC Limited, and 20 year distribution agreement between MLC and NAB valued at approximately A$2.4bn.
More information on the role and team can be found in the Job Description attached to the role on our website www.ashurst.com/en/careers
Desired Skills and Experience:
To succeed in this role you will need:
- 2-4 years' corporate/M&A/ECM/PE/funds experience gained within a truly top-tier firm
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Superior drafting ability
- A commercial approach and an ability to negotiate effectively
- Strong attention to detail with well-developed analytical skills
- The ability to be team-focused and also work independently
- A proactive, positive and energetic approach with a commitment to providing excellent service and, a desire to interact with the market and build client relationships
At Ashurst, you'll have the opportunity to work in an environment that encourages learning and excellence with some of Australia's leading professionals. You will also have a range of social, sporting and health benefits available to you.