Technical Project Manager
We have an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to be involved with a wide range IT/Facilities focussed projects.
About the role
An experienced, enthusiastic and proactive Technical Project Manager is required to manage business led technology implementations in the firm. There will be a bias for this particular role to be involved in office IT infrastructure changes around our international offices.
The Programme Management Office plan, design, track, monitor and often project manage many of the large scale initiatives within the Firm. This can of course be IT projects but are also often to do with process and cultural change, facilities/office developments and to meet changes in regulation and governance.
All projects will utilise a number of stakeholder groups to complete the delivery such as the IT Department, external suppliers, key stakeholder/user groups and other project management services and resources.
The projects are co-ordinated and managed referencing a Framework that encompasses all these stakeholder groups and is dynamic in terms of what processes, steps, gateways and deliverables are deemed appropriate for each project.
The Programme of Work is high-profile within the Firm and is reports on progress to the Board and a number of Executive and Management Groups. The Programme usually consists of a workbook of around 40 active projects.
The scope and role of the Programme Management Office and its resources has increased due to a number of business drivers and therefore we are making the above role a fulltime and permanent one.
The role reports directly to the Head of Programme Development, is based from the Edinburgh Office (with frequent travel to UK offices). It is high profile in a very demanding environment working on interesting and diverse sets of projects.
- Be responsible for ensuring the Project tracking is up to speed and be a contributor to the PMO team.
- Assess, prioritise, resource and establish dependencies within the Project.
- Meet with key business and Firm stakeholders in establishing project priorities, objectives, needs and requirements.
- Ensure all project milestones are recorded and reported on.
- End-to-End project lifecycle experience with full ownership/responsibility of all components and resources.
- Project initiation and scoping
- Requirements gathering to produce business case, project brief and plans
- Business and technical analysis, discovery and design
- Vendor management and consolidation
- Stakeholder management and communication
- Configuration and build over multiple environments with quality checks/gates
- Detailed planning but tracking by milestones/deliverables
- Ability to lead multi-vendor teams
- Design, management and measuring of proof of concept, UAT and Pilot phases
- Strong co-ordination and drive of all tasks/commitments within the project scope
- Production of project brief, proposal, initiation and business case documentation. Helping users where applicable to complete and maintain these.
- Production of infrastructure design and specifications, co-ordinate with suppliers and the IT team to meet all acceptance into service requirements
- Determining readiness of applications for intended production environments.
- Documenting comprehensively all project phases.
- Project communications to a very high standard.
- Managing a number of high profile projects at the same time without loss of focus.
- Project team creation initiation and management.
- Provide input on supplier deliverables, referring to management for decisions.
- Ensuring the PMO framework is adhered to and the PMO tracking tool is updated at all times.
- Contribute to and sometimes drive vendor/package evaluation and selections through RFP processes.
- Ability to track budget, spend, commitments and changes.
Projects are varied and cover many legal specific applications and processes such as Elite/Carpe Diem billing, Dynamics CRM, Peoplesoft HR, Worksite document management, SharePoint knowledge management, Skype communications, Microsoft infrastructure/stack.
You will be assigned a number of projects, the size and type will be varied. This role will have a bias to office infrastructure enhancements across our international office estate. You should be able to demonstrate experience and success in this area of programme/change.
You should have experience of a number of high profile and extensive infrastructure projects including communications, data, networks, servers, Wi-Fi etc.
At project inception it is agreed what level of project management is required. You will work closely with a number of project co-ordinators who will work with you to manage resources, issues and deliverables. It is an environment where projects priorities are frequently changed and the complexities of dependencies and integrations are complex.
An experienced, enthusiastic and proactive Technical Project Manager is required to manage business led technology implementations in the firm.
Experience of working within the Legal and/or Professional Services Sector is preferred.
Experience of being responsible for the whole project life-cycle of projects, from business analysis of processes through to solution implementation and further into adoption and best practice.
The ability to demonstrate and provide full ownership in all aspects of assigned projects is a mandatory skill.
The role requires an out-going, articulate, proactive, and professional individual, with strong business and technical analysis and project management skills.
Experience of working closely with infrastructure teams on the design, construction and delivery of technical platforms, with a base understanding of key infrastructure concepts and components.
Track record in having sole responsibility for delivery of at least two large-scale infrastructure projects are essential requirements. Vital attributes are determination, diplomacy and strong interpersonal communication skills and an ability to work in virtual teams.
Candidates should have been trained in an industry standard project methodology and associated toolsets.
Experience in an outsourced/supplier based model would be an advantage.
The projects are usually 6 months in duration or less, the complexity is in their dependencies to each other and the volume of projects on the go at any one time.
Liaise with the Innovation and Deployment teams to implement quality solutions and facilitate full adoption and therefore benefits.
Have referenceable experience of:
- Ensuring that projects are delivered on time and within budget to standards and procedures as designed and agreed within the Programme of Work (PoW) framework and process.
- Project types regarding infrastructure, office and facilities projects, telecommunications (office based) are primary, followed by user/client focussed application, data and process projects
- Leading and motivating various resources with differing skill sets, taken from different sections of the IT team and the various external suppliers over a number of locations.
- Establishing and tracking key milestone / stakeholder deliverables/diaries.
- Preparing users for and leading user acceptance/scenario testing in both group and at-the-desk sessions.
- Undertaking all aspects of project management and project analysis including, requirements analysis, project management, communication, and resource management, both technical and non-technical. Project liaison with suppliers and other 3rd party project resources.
- Working with business representatives and technical specialists (e.g. systems administrators, DBA's) to analyse, design, and implement software applications that are critical to the effectiveness of the organisation.
- Define and prioritising their own work on projects in accordance with direction from the PMO, assemble project teams, determine scheduling and resource allocation and manage the development effort.
- Overseeing overall project quality to ensure the solution is flexible, maintainable, accurate, and meets customer needs.
- Providing accurate and timely provision of technical and budget information for the production of business case proposals and supplier selection documentation.
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
Ranked as the world’s 6th largest law firm by lawyer headcount and 6th largest in the UK by revenue, CMS works with clients in 39 countries from 70 office worldwide.
On 1 May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang came together to create a new future-facing firm, one that is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. And we recruit, value and nurture top talent.
We welcome and promote diversity among our staff and we are committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment practice.
If you are interested, please apply online.
Alternatively contact Claire Keen, Recruitment Advisor, with any specific questions.