Are you looking to progress your legal secretarial career within a law firm that is significantly growing in size and global reach.
About the role
We are looking for a Junior Secretary to join our Energy, Projects and Construction practice group in order to ensure the provision of a high-quality and efficient team secretarial service to fee-earners as required, including trainee solicitors, with support from more experienced colleagues, responsibilities will include:
• Become familiar with the legal terminology of your respective Practice Group
• Establish positive and effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels
• Become adept at using the firm’s IT systems and software packages
• Become adept at proof-reading and carrying out quality checks on all work produced
• Provide effective mailbox management for fee-earners
• Take responsibility for fee-earners diary management, as required, including booking meeting rooms, refreshments etc
• Set up video and conference calls and circulate relevant information to all parties
• Book travel arrangements, including flights, accommodation, taxis etc as required
*Only those which are not mandated for production/collation by DDC
• Draft basic correspondence for fee-earners
• Digital dictation as required
• Amend short agreements/documents as required
• Carry out short document comparisons
• Production of bibles following matter closing
Administration: (some overlap with the Practice Group’s Administrators)
• Liaison with Records Management including retrieving and archiving
• Filing (hard copy and electronic)
• Preparing inventories and handling executed documents
• Printing and photocopying as required
• Scanning documents into the electronic document management system
• Distributing and scanning incoming mail
• General ad-hoc office queries
Support of other functions/activities:
• Insertion of business contact cards into Outlook and Centric
• Processing fee-earner expenses on Chrome River in a timely manner, as required
• Liaison with Business Development, Marketing, Events and Finance Teams with a view to supporting them on specific team-based tasks
Support of team:
• Work flexibly and outside of core hours as and when required to meet deadlines and complete tasks
• Support a collaborative team environment by willingly offering assistance
• Provide cross Practice-Group support where necessary
• Answer and respond to telephone calls and queries
Relationship Building/Internal Networking:
• Attending team meetings and taking minutes as required
Qualifications & Experience
• CILEX Level 2/3 with a minimum of Grade C at GCSE in Maths and English
• Previous office experience preferred but not essential
• Reliable with a strong work ethic and a ‘can-do’ approach
• Team player
Skills & Knowledge
• High levels of IT literacy in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint (although more complex and/or lengthy documents are likely to be undertaken by others in dedicated roles)
• Well-developed administrative skills with the ability to multi-task under pressure
CMS is an international organisation with market leading businesses throughout Europe, The Middle East, Asia and beyond.
On the 1st May 2017, CMS, Nabarro and Olswang are combining to create a truly modern, ambitious, sector driven and technology focused firm for the future. Together we will be the 6th largest UK law firm (by UK revenue) and the 6th largest law firm globally (by headcount) with outstanding global reach: serving 39 countries across 70 offices.
The new firm will be headquartered in the City of London with UK offices in Aberdeen, Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester, Reading and Sheffield.
All 3 firms have very similar values running through them which will ring true after the combination. We work hard to be a truly client-focused law firm. That means not just understanding the unique challenges of every market sector, but also providing a service that’s tailored to the needs of each client. Our partners are hands-on and work hard to get closer to clients with everything from joint training initiatives and advice surgeries to visits and social events. What’s more, our teams have the ideal balance of personality and industry expertise to suit the varied needs of our clients.
We welcome and promote diversity among our staff and we are committed to a policy of equal opportunity in all aspects of employment practice.
If you are interested please apply online or contact Phoebe Napier, Recruitment Officer, for more information.